It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
(male)

BritishBeef HB User
Need advice - It's getting worse :(

Hi there,
I have bee suffering from Reflux for the last 10 years. I have been on PPI's ever since (I'm currently on 40mg Nexium daily). In the main, the meds have pretty much kept my Reflux at bay and I have been able to eat what I want. If I had spicy foods etc. then I sometimes got a flare up.

Over the last few months I have been very stressed an sleep deprived (due to a new baby) and other things. As a result, over those few months, I ate a lot of junk food and take aways (take outs for you Americans!) I drank more alcohol than normal too.

About 6 weeks ago, I started getting bad heartburn. I normally only suffer from burning in throat and regurgitation so this was different. The Heartburn was constant - all day and night. After a few weeks of this I stopped the bad foods, drinks and alcohol.

I now only eat so-called reflux safe foods and water. I am not particularly overweight but as a result of this new diet, I have lost 6kg in weight. I now sleep on a wedge too.

However, despite my major eating regime change which started 3 weeks ago, I'm still suffering from reflux. It's not as bad as the heartburn flare up but I am regularly everyday getting acid into my mouth and discomfort in my throat and chest. It's also waking me at night. As a result I'm having to take over the counter antacids as well as my Nexium but they aren't doing much.

Shouldn't this have had a major positive effect by now? Or does the stomach take a while to lower it's acid production after a low fat diet change?

I had an endoscopy a year ago which showed I had a normal Oesophagus. I had 2 previous endoscopies over the 2 years prior which showed inflammation.

My doctor has recommended I continue the diet change for about 6 weeks and if no better I will be referred back to my consultant for more tests.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by BritishBeef; 05-25-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Need advice - It's getting worse :(

Hi, how do you take the Nexium. If you take it once a day, you could do what my friend did, That is to halve the dose and take 20mg in the morning and the same at night, he found this more helpful. Apart from that your Dr may try another PPI or increase the dosage. Keep to a sensible diet (no junk). I also have AR/GERD and was prescribed NEXIUM but I didn't take them(MY DECISION).As an OTC remedy I take GAVISCON which I find helpful. No food 2-3 hrs before bed. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
(male)

BritishBeef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi, how do you take the Nexium. If you take it once a day, you could do what my friend did, That is to halve the dose and take 20mg in the morning and the same at night, he found this more helpful. Apart from that your Dr may try another PPI or increase the dosage. Keep to a sensible diet (no junk). I also have AR/GERD and was prescribed NEXIUM but I didn't take them(MY DECISION).As an OTC remedy I take GAVISCON which I find helpful. No food 2-3 hrs before bed. Good Luck, Solofelix.
Hi Solofelix. thanks for your reply.

I take my Nexium about an hour before my evening meal, so about 5pm. I read somewhere that it was important to take it then so that it's effects were strongest for when digesting that meal (which is usually the largest of the day).

I take Gaviscon throughout the day but it only relieves symptoms for a short while.

I no longer eat within 3 huors before bedtime also. That is something I will bring up with my doctor about the splitting dose.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

spastic44f HB User

HAVE U ever tried dexilant? I've only been on it 3 days now and it has helped about 50% already!! it's the 60mg ones.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the lifestyle changes seem to be helping, I say give it a little more time. It really can take a couple months to recover from a bad flare up. But if it's not helping anymore, definitely keep bothering your doctor.

Closed Thread