It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
(male)

tallguy HB User
Inflamed stomach, lump in throat

I've been on Dexilant off and on for over a month, but still had the feeling of either a lump in my throat or sensation of food pushing up. I had an upper endoscopy and the GI said I had a mildly inflamed stomach, and my esophagus is fine. I've switched to generic prilosec for financial reasons. The GI said I should see an ENT because I feel like I am swallowing mucus sometimes and she thinks that could be the cause.
The problem is I had already seen and ENT and he just said nothing was wrong with me! I'm so deep in debt now with these expensive tests and doctors visits, that my insurance company doesn't even pay for. Could this be allergies? I moved to California in winter and my symptoms started in spring. Is there anything I can do to help myself?

Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
(female)

Lucy00 HB User
Re: Inflamed stomach, lump in throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
I've been on Dexilant off and on for over a month, but still had the feeling of either a lump in my throat or sensation of food pushing up. I had an upper endoscopy and the GI said I had a mildly inflamed stomach, and my esophagus is fine. I've switched to generic prilosec for financial reasons. The GI said I should see an ENT because I feel like I am swallowing mucus sometimes and she thinks that could be the cause.
The problem is I had already seen and ENT and he just said nothing was wrong with me! I'm so deep in debt now with these expensive tests and doctors visits, that my insurance company doesn't even pay for. Could this be allergies? I moved to California in winter and my symptoms started in spring. Is there anything I can do to help myself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #3
(female)

Lucy00 HB User

Hi, I had post nasal drip every morning horribly with nausea and went to a ent doctor who said everything was fine except for a deviated septum. Then went for allergy testing which showed negative but my breathing was horrible so the doctor put me on inhalers and said being on rantitidene for heartburn wasn't good enough as I was dx with gerd last July and tried omeprazole which caused problems so then my doctor put me on rantitidene so once I left that doctor put myself back on oc prilosec and surprise to me the post nasal drip cleared up, but I do find that I have a feeling of a lump in my throat and no appetite so thinking about going off after the 14 days. My asthma, post nasal drip and all that sadly is from the heartburn even though my upper gi only showed mild wear on the esophagus. What I am doing now is avoiding all food that bothers me as was told that my esophagus needs time to heal so I hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If it's allergies, taking an over-the-counter antihistamine may help. Also, keeping the windows on your house closed and washing your sheets frequently in hot water can reduce exposure to pollen.

You can also try certain diet and lifestyle measures, such as eating smaller meals, not eating near bedtime, and elevating the head of your bed or sleeping on a wedge pillow.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
(male)

tallguy HB User

I definitely think my lump in throat feeling is from mucus or post nasal drip. The only thing the GI found was a mildly inflamed stomach, and the ENT was no help. Could my stomach inflammation be caused by my excess mucus, or is the mucus from acid reflux? I'm not sure what my next step is accept visiting an allergist which I can't afford...

Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
(male)

tallguy HB User

So I found that I have excessive mucus right after eating, which eventually feels like a lump in my throat. So I tried taking a zinc lozenge right after meals, which cut down the mucus and made the lump more mild... I was happy until I started get cramps and diarrhea. Is it possible that the mucus was helping my stomach or intestines somehow? I've had loose stool for the past 3 weeks, but now I have diarrhea and I don't know what to do!!

Old 06-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It could be a side effect of the zinc. Nutrient supplements can do that, unfortunately.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
(male)

tallguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It could be a side effect of the zinc. Nutrient supplements can do that, unfortunately.
I think the loose stool all started when I changed my diet and ate oatmeal everyday for breakfast, and whole grains instead of white (like white rice/pasta). I'm going to take a break from the whole grains for a while to see if it clears up. Although I never heard of it cause this.

Closed Thread