It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

tammykinz HB User
BEST PPI for someone with IBS

Hello

I have IBS which have symptoms of intestinal burning, urgency, incomplete evacuation and occasionally alternating between diarrhea and constipation. The diarrhea is the worst because I get the urgency at unpredictable times. i have had to be off work because of it.

I also have GERD and am back to taking Nexium. I am finding that the Nexium is helping by keeping away the burning in my abdomen. I have been on nexium in the past and found I would get upper abdominal discomfort for it. Doctor gave me trial packs of tecta but i never tried tecta.

So what PPI is best for someone with IBS like mine. I heard that some have more diarrhea symptoms than constipation. I would prefer one that would cause more constipation than diarrhea because constipation I can treat with other things easily.

What do you think?

The following user gives a hug of support to tammykinz:
MountainReader (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
(female)

janineco HB User
Re: BEST PPI for someone with IBS

Tammy, I was given all of those diagnoses for 20+ years. It was only recently that I was properly diagnosed with Celiac disease. It has changed my life. You can start by getting a blood test. If it shows a high range, you can get a good gastroenterologist to do a biopsy of your small intestine (that is the only conclusive diagnosis). If you have any questions, please log on to the Celiac Research centers at the University of Maryland and Columbia University. Those are the top docs. Most doctors in this country do not know how to diagnose this disease. You may get a referral from these two centers. Good look. I hope you find some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammykinz View Post
Hello

I have IBS which have symptoms of intestinal burning, urgency, incomplete evacuation and occasionally alternating between diarrhea and constipation. The diarrhea is the worst because I get the urgency at unpredictable times. i have had to be off work because of it.

I also have GERD and am back to taking Nexium. I am finding that the Nexium is helping by keeping away the burning in my abdomen. I have been on nexium in the past and found I would get upper abdominal discomfort for it. Doctor gave me trial packs of tecta but i never tried tecta.

So what PPI is best for someone with IBS like mine. I heard that some have more diarrhea symptoms than constipation. I would prefer one that would cause more constipation than diarrhea because constipation I can treat with other things easily.

What do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

tammykinz HB User

thanks.

I actually have been tested for celiac twice with a blood test and both came back negative. also tested for H.pylori both with breath and blood test and came back negative.

I am thinking of going to see a naturopath to look in to testing for further allergies.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Question Re: BEST PPI for someone with IBS

I would say that it is a very individual issue. Everyone responds differently to PPI's. I've been on all of the PPI's on the market over the years. I didn't have digestive problems with most of them. There was one though that gave me horribly severe side effects (such as diarrhea averaging going over 20 times a day) even on it for just a week. From that one PPI, I developed IBS which I still have 3 years later. In my case, the PPI I reacted to was Nexium. At one point, I actually got my GI doc to fill out paperwork for FMLA that I could take intermittently. While I would have IBS symptoms all day, the mornings were usually the worst. The intermittent FMLA allowed my job to be protected when I need a day or morning off due to the IBS. It was hard because I had to be able to make the 20 minute drive to work without going. My commute is on a highway so I didn't have the option of pulling off if I had the urge to go.

It has taken a long time, but my IBS is not as severe anymore.

As for the best PPI's, in my case, Prevacid in the Solutab form and Dexilant work the best. They don't control all the acid reflux symptoms, but they do make them much less severe.

As for the IBS, I had to work on adjusting my diet for it and the GERD/LPR. I also ended up taking anti-diarrheal medicine as needed, adding Miralax and Metamucil to my diet and taking anti-spasmotics for a while. My GI doc upped my fiber to 40 g. per day as well.

By the way, I've had 3 endoscopies with biopisies that have included checking for celiac and h. pylori and they have all come back negative. I was also tested several times for c. dificile as well.

I hope you find what works for you soon.

Take care,
MountainReader

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-27-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
(female)

janineco HB User

The blood test can come back normal. The only definitive diagnosis is a biopsy of the small intestine. Have you been scoped?

Quote:
thanks.

I actually have been tested for celiac twice with a blood test and both came back negative. also tested for H.pylori both with breath and blood test and came back negative.

I am thinking of going to see a naturopath to look in to testing for further allergies.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

janineco HB User

Wow. I am so sorry to hear about your challenges. I think they are still struggling with all the different issues around digestive diseases.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
(female)

tammykinz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janineco View Post
The blood test can come back normal. The only definitive diagnosis is a biopsy of the small intestine. Have you been scoped?
No I haven't been scoped. I am going to be seeing a general surgeon on June 6th and I think this will be regarding getting a colonoscopy done. but for celiac I would need the upper endoscope right ?? i thought about it.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
(female)

janineco HB User

yes, from the top...lol. They biopsy the small intestine. You have to find someone who is aware of celiac. Not many doctors or lab technicians are knowledgeable about celiacs. I was also tested for H-Pylori. Do go onto the Center for celiac research at the University of Maryland. I believe there is a test you can take. So much can be done with nutrition. My mother died of digestive problems and now my Aunt is dying too. I know they could have lived longer and healthier with a change in their diet.

Quote:
No I haven't been scoped. I am going to be seeing a general surgeon on June 6th and I think this will be regarding getting a colonoscopy done. but for celiac I would need the upper endoscope right ?? i thought about it.

Closed Thread