It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

sevenseas831 HB Usersevenseas831 HB User
Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy and Elavil

I have been taking Elavil for a chronic cough, which I thought was the result of acid reflux but which turned out to be laryngeal sensory neuropathy. I have had very good luck with Elavil as I have experienced about a 90% improvement in my cough. Unforuntately, my latest lab work shows that my liver enzymes are off the chart, and my doctor thinks it is the Elavil. Apparently Elavil and other drugs like it can really upset the liver. I have now had to quit taking the Elavil and am not sure what I am going to do about the cough. I just wanted to post to let others know that if you take Elavil, Lyrica, or similar drugs, you should be sure to have lab work on a regular basis. My ENT who prescribed the Elavil never mentioned this. If I had not been getting regular lab work for other health issues, I would never have known my enzymes were so high -- they are supposed to be under 40 and mine were 148.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevenseas831 For This Useful Post:
tclarklpr (05-28-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User
Re: Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy and Elavil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseas831 View Post
I have been taking Elavil for a chronic cough, which I thought was the result of acid reflux but which turned out to be laryngeal sensory neuropathy. I have had very good luck with Elavil as I have experienced about a 90% improvement in my cough. Unforuntately, my latest lab work shows that my liver enzymes are off the chart, and my doctor thinks it is the Elavil. Apparently Elavil and other drugs like it can really upset the liver. I have now had to quit taking the Elavil and am not sure what I am going to do about the cough. I just wanted to post to let others know that if you take Elavil, Lyrica, or similar drugs, you should be sure to have lab work on a regular basis. My ENT who prescribed the Elavil never mentioned this. If I had not been getting regular lab work for other health issues, I would never have known my enzymes were so high -- they are supposed to be under 40 and mine were 148.

I noticed your in Virgina. There is an awsome ENT in that area Dr. Christopher Y. Chang.

His website has alot of hood information bout alot of reflux and LSN related stuff. If he was closer to NY I would get a second opinion for myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
(male)

By the way what Dosage where you on? Usually between 10-25mg is what it usually takes to keep it under control.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

That is actually my ENT. He prescribed the Elavil which did work wonders, but unfortunately, it looks like I cannot continue to take it. I believe Neurontin is one of the other LSN medications, and from what I have read it does not process through the liver. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow. Dr. Chang said I need to see my GP before switching meds. Thanks for the info, though!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
(female)

I started at 10 mg one a day and worked up to 50 mg a day. This seemed to be the level that kept my cough under control for most of the day.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
(male)

Did you take 50mg at one time or spread out over course of day?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
(female)

25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night. I am going to talk to my GP tomorrow about maybe going back to 30 mg (10 am, 10 lunch, and 10 dinner). I was doing that but was only get about 70% relief. My ENT said we were aiming for 90%, so we went up to 25 and 25. I get bloodwork again in a week, so if my liver enzymes have dropped, I may try the 30 mg again.

I am also contemplating Neurontin, but I have read about some significant side effects.

Closed Thread