It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

asidelko87 HB User
help!

Hi there,
Im a 23 year old female with gerd, asthma and anxiety. I'v had this problem since the 16th. I was eating pizza, and it had felt like there was a peice of cheese stuck. I attempted to ignore it, with no such luck. I ended up in the ER room, in fear that sooner or later I would choke. They had done an esophagram. Everything came up normal, and I was able to swallow the barium with no problems at all. They sent me home with some zantac. The next day, I didnt feel right. I made it through the day, somehow. On the 18th, I had finally had enough. I took myself back to the ER determined something was there, and the hospital missed it the first time. They had done a soft tissue x-ray which turned out fine, and blood work that showed no problems. After the doctor realized I was so set in the state of mind that something was stuck, he admitted me and said the next morning they would do a scope. When morning came, I got prepped, a pregnancy test was done and it came out positive and as happy as I was, this also ment I wasnt able to get a scope done. They sent me home, stating it was from GERD and to follow up with an ENT. I did. The ENT doctor looked down my throat as far as he could with no scope, and said he saw signs of acid reflux. He also stated that could be the cause of feeling a lump. He said I should follow up with an GI doctor. So I did. The GI doctor also stated since all tests came out normal, and the fact I can drink liquids fine, that it has to do with acid reflux. I am now sitting here, 13 days later and 5 weeks pregnant scared to eat. There are times I feel something there and then after awhile it goes away. Has anyone had this problem? Could I be messing with myself with thinking something is there. Or does it take some time for your esophagus to become un-inflamed? Im very scared to eat, thinking something will get stuck. Any help would be lovely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: help!

Congratulations on the Happy News (Baby). Next!! Try not to worry about the lump in the throat sensation. This is more than common with GERD/AR. I have it all the time, in fact so long now its just a part of me, tho Id rather be without it. For the sake of your/baby's health you must eat and trust me you wont choke, I honestly know how you feel. You said its not there all the time. That's the time to eat when you feel most comfortable. I wish you well. Solofelix.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

asidelko87 HB User

Happy to say that yesterday(saturday) and today(sunday) I was able to swallow a pill, whole, without crushing it up. Sure, I did a whole bottle of water and it wasnt a big pill...but...this is a big step from 14 days ago. I'm also able to eat yogurt and potato salad. Hopefully I'll be feeling brave enough to attempt this again today and things continue to improve.

Its nice to know that Im not the only one suffering from this. I do believe thinking Im going to choke is alot in my head, its also something scary to think about. Slowly but surely I am taking control of this situation.

I am on protonix, so hopefully it begins to help. I appreciate of the words of advice from everyone.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I know what you mean about pills. I am unable to swallow any pills as I almost choked on one of those Gelatine coated ones. So now they have to be crushed or dissolved in water. My Dr recently gave me DOMPERIDONE and the pill was the tiniest I have ever seen, I was terrified tho knew full well it would slide down due to its size. I did manage that one with lots of water but any other and its a NO-NO.
All the best, Solofelix.

Closed Thread