It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
(male)

zackjohn HB User
Acid Reflux and extremely scared of upper endoscopy

Hi,

I'm 17 and I have been having heart burn on and off for the last few years. It hasn't really been a problem but this last weekend it wen't really bad. I haven't had it for around 5 days but my throat seems kinda irritated but has been getting better.

I never had really bad acid that caused me to choke or throw up or any really bad symptoms. I still want to get it checked out.

The thing that worries me most is the upper endoscopy. I have bad anxiety issues especially with anything to do with my mouth and throat. Do you think I will need to get one done?

If I do, what can I expect? I'm extremely nervous about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by zackjohn; 05-29-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Re: Acid Reflux and extremely scared of upper endoscopy

I am the type of person that becomes nervous when driving by a hospital.

I had an endoscopy and it was a piece of cake.

I was knocked out though. Are you going to be awake?

Last edited by kevinla; 05-29-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
(male)

Krion HB User

Yeah, they use drugs for it. I had to get that done in both ends, which im glad i wasnt awake for. without it, your gag reflex would kick in. A gag reflex being the opposite of useful in that situation.

The worst part was the disturbing realization that I had een talking to people for 20 minutes prior to any memories being able to form...oh, also, they'll make you come with someone to drive you home, for reasons as i detaield above.

All in all, perfectly natural to be nervous. but if youve never been anesthetized, its pretty interesting. As in, youre there, doing stuff, and waiting, and then youre halfway home. Thats how it was from my point of view at least!

Just like with stitches and breaks and all that, its scary but you're in the nads of people who have decided to spend their lives looking at peoples stomachs. This sort of doctor is dedicated beyond the ability for laymen to interpret, considering what they do for a living.

So, remember the first rule: Dont Panic! Itll only make things worse!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
(female)

pinaay HB User

Hey,
I have acid reflux and I got an upper endoscopy done-it wasn't bad at all!
I was really scared about it- I always get scared about going to the doctor's, even if it's just a check up. I was panicking and I had my eyes closed while they were doing the endoscopy...I think I really made a fool out of myself; before I knew it, it was done!
Usually, they spray a bit of anaesthetic or something in your nose and it just feel a little weird afterwards, as it wears off. It does feel slightly uncomfortable, but it will go away after a while.
Try not to worry too much, and best of luck!

Closed Thread