It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

rover25 HB User
Belching, burning stomach/chest, sensation in throat??

Hi, Just looking for any advice! Had an emergency scope done in early Dec after what I felt was a piece of toast stuck in my esophagaus. Scope showed nothing stuck but that I had a hiatus hernia. Dr prescribed omeprezlone (sp!) . Took these for about 2 months but they didn't make any difference. My own dr said I could continue or not if I felt they were working. From about 3-4 days after scope I developed a lump feeling in my throat which I believe was due to anxiety. This I put down to globus sensation. I have been seeing a cognitive behaviour therapist since Jan (car accident last May) and she addressed this as well. Anway I no longer have the hard feeling of a lump but I have a sensation of something there like mucas/liquid. This is in addition to constant feeling of pressure in upper chest/lower throat area which is relieved by belching. Sometimes the belching happens and I have no control over it and other times I have to really force the belch. Coke is great for this! At times it can come from deep in my stomach. As soon as I burp the restruction/ sensation is gone but then it comes back straight away. Sometimes I feel a burning feeling in stomach and esophagaus area. There are times that little burps are happening themselves in my esophagus area and I can sometimes hear like a fizzling sound like 'snap, crackle and pop'! The only time I get relief is when I am eating or drinking. Even if I am just sucking sweet, it seems to help. Chewing gum can also ease it slightly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
(male)

jzinc HB User
Re: Belching, burning stomach/chest, sensation in throat??

yep, nearly the same symptoms as me. I had an EGD done recently and doc said it was mild esophagitis and gastritis. What bothers me the most is the off/on burning in esophagus about where the collarbone meets the sternum. It was really bad about 4 months ago when it started, but I have been on prilosec OTC (20mg/2x daily) and that seems to help, but the darn pain won't go away for good. I had this 16 years ago back in college and it seemed to only last a couple weeks. They gave me propulsid back then.

Like you, I get relief from forcing a burp, eating food, chewing gum. Drinking water actually seems to make it hurt. It doesn't really burn anymore, but more of a dull achy, sometimes sharp pain feeling. Also, have a pressure feeling in the upper chest occasionally. The lump in the throat feeling also went away awhile back, but was definitely there. I've cut out coffee, chocolate, and almost all alcohol for the last 4 months and it doesn't seem to matter, as in it still won't go away. I decided to start casually drinking alcohol again, cause unless I know that is a sure trigger, I am not putting my life on hold. It's been a major PITA, mainly cause I feel like I've done everything right and still not 100% improved. I feel like I am wasting money on the prilosec. I have a GI appt. in July so we'll see what he says.

One other thing: my pain seems to bother me more when sitting down or driving my car. When I stand, I feel great. I was thinking hiatal hernia, but doc said nothing about that after endoscopy.

Closed Thread