HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Looking for suggestions/opinions... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/852134-looking-suggestions-opinions.html)

strenghtbeauty 05-31-2011 08:07 AM

Looking for suggestions/opinions...

Hello,

I am a 24 yr old female that had a Lap Coley done on 3/25/2011 due to a non-functioning gallbladder, it was black when the removed it (basically is was dead and causing an infection). My symptoms that started the idea of a gallbladder attack were:

Vomiting (only at night)x 2 months- daily
Choking sensation x 2 years (that I can remember, its felt like a lifetime.)
Regurgitation though only minimal.

After my Lap Coley, I have had continued choking sensation, regurgitation, chest pain when laying down (and swallowing), I have started vomiting again (even worse it seems that my gag reflex is so sensitive the I throw up while brushing my teeth.) **The vomiting, chest pains all started within the last few days, it feels like my symptoms are getting worse.

I asked my surgeon if this is symptoms of "dumping syndrome" common after a gallbladder surgery, but he said no because I do not get severe headaches and sweats. He reviewed my Upper GI test I had done before my surgery and where the Radiologist thought I had a problem with my Duodenum (which is where the stomach connects to the lower intestine) my surgeon said it was clear I have a Hiatel Hernia, which is obviously at the top of my stomach. I am concerned about the contradictions, but I trust my surgeon (he is the "family surgeon", he saved my father's life, and has cut on my Gpa, and my mother as well.)

I guess I am looking for anyones thoughts and opinions or if anyone else has similar issues. I am scheduled for a Ph Test and an EGD (upper endoscopy) on the 16th of June.

Thanks.

P.S. it has been proven already that I have Reflux, but I have never felt "heartburn". I was taking Nexium 40mg qd and my Surgeon took me off of it until after my EGD. I take Welchol for the nausea and the "stomach churning" I get after every meal. I have never really known what Heartburn feels like and I can only associate my chest pains as an onset of heartburn.

janewhite1 05-31-2011 10:39 AM

Re: Looking for suggestions/opinions...

If you were on Nexium for a long time and stopped suddenly, that would almost certainly increase your digestive symptoms.

strengthbeauty3 05-31-2011 11:16 AM

Nexium never helped in the first place

janewhite1 05-31-2011 11:54 AM

Yes, but if you take it for a while and then stop, it can cause your body to overproduce acid, leading to heartburn and digestive problems. It's only in the past couple years that studies have come out proving what patients have known for years: Nexium and drugs like it cause rebound and dependency.

When did you start taking it, when did you stop, and when did your symptoms get bad?

strengthbeauty3 05-31-2011 12:05 PM

I started taking Nexium about 1 month prior to my Lap Coley, and then I was told to stop taking it 6 weeks after my Lap Coley because my surgeon thought it was my gallbladder primarily causing the problems... I have not taken the Nexium now for 2 weeks, and I have had the choking sensation for 2+ years, and the chest pains have just started. The vomiting and diarrhea have been going on for approx 4 months now. All my blood work has come back normal with the exception of my glucose, but I am not diabetic, and that was a fluke result... I eat rather healthy, I hardly eat anything spicy since my gallbladder was removed and I try to stay away from soda. I haven't had the most regular eating schedule, I tend to snack for 4 of my meals and my 5th meal is my largest. The last meal is my largest meal and my surgeon thinks that is why I get sick at night. I am a nurse and I work LONG hours daily, so I don't always get a chance to take a break and eat a lunch, so I am usually snacking on a few almonds, or a banana, granola bar, or protein shake... (ensure)