It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

Jeronomo HB User
Shortness of breath, reflux, chest pain, phlegm

I have been diagnosed with GERD/Acid Reflux and the attacks I have are so painful and scary. I become short of breath and battle to swallow. I feel as though I have someting stuck in my throat. My chest is painful and I battle to take in deep breaths. I have to watch what I eat or drink when this happens. I take the generic of nexium called topzole 40mg and I double the dosage when feeling so uncomfortable. I also take gaviscon to assist. I find it better to avoid alcohol and concentrate on my breathing.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

Lucy00 HB User
Re: Shortness of breath, reflux, chest pain, phlegm

I have very similar symptoms and finally went to be tested for allergies/asthma and they diagnosed me with asthma which is common with having acid reflux and I have inhalers now and totally avoid all foods that trigger the shortness of breath as was finding that whenever I ate something or drank what wasn't good for me the breathing became worse. I still get tired easily on exertion but I am doing better and the doctor told me it would be a long time before I felt myself again. I was on rantitidene which he felt wasn't strong enough so now on prilosec 20 mg.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy00 For This Useful Post:
Jeronomo (05-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
(female)

Jeronomo HB User

Thank you Lucy00. I have been diagnosed recently with asthma and am on a Seretide inhaler twice daily. I am also going on a bland diet for a week and will be cutting dairy, carbs and fats. Basically anything that is acid forming. On top of this I am overweight which does not help matters. I have been rushed to hospital on numerous occassions by my husband because the chest pains have been so intense. I cannot believe that acid reflux can cause so much pain and discomfort.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I have AR/GERD and am also an Asthmatic for over thirty years (long time). Firstly I see you are on SERETIDE INHALER, do you also have VENTOLIN INHALER. SERETIDE is an excellent inhaler. I was prescribed it three yrs ago and using it morning and evening i have found it great, I don't even need to use the VENTOLIN now. AR is a nasty complaint, I've had this for almost three yrs and suffer terrible things with my stomach and the feeling you are going to choke with the lump in the throat sensation. You say you are overweight, its a good idea especially with Asthma to get your weight down. I hate to spoil your day HA HA... but I'm as skinny as a rake. The best way to get the weight down is to cut out SUGAR entirely, I found this out when I had Candida, I lost 14 lbs in 3-4 wks. I wish you well, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Jeronomo (06-01-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

Jeronomo HB User

A few days ago my GP took blood to test my pituatary gland. I will find out if there is something there. 13 years ago I was involved in a life changing head on collision. Since then I have suffered from different problems. I used to be skinny, fit and healthy. I have battled with anxiety (which I now believe to be asthma related), PTSD (post traumatic strss syndrome), a heart operation (a repair to my aorta 3 years after the accident resulting from blunt force trauma); removal of my gallbladder and many other problems that have also resulted in me drinking far too much alcohol and taking prescribed medication. I am so deperate to return back to my old me. I also seek comfort in food. I know the road is long and I think I need to have discipline and strength to overcome this battle with my weight. Having GERD/AR is just another crappy disorder that I have to overcome. Thank you for your reply Solofelix.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Jeronomo,

I've also found HCL with Pepsin at your local health food store to be very useful. Years ago, they started me on Prevacid and switched me to Nexium, and I could see neither were effective although I took it for a long time. However, the HCL doesn't have the potential side effects and is quite affordable and I have been pleased with the results. Of course, the MGs will vary and the 250 MG works well for me. Hang in there.

Last edited by Looking4aAnswer; 06-01-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
(female)

Jeronomo HB User

Looking4aAnswer - Thank you, I will go to the health shop and inquire about HCL with pepsin. I also think seeing a homeopath may be an option.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Jeronomo,

Not a problem and I hope you get some relief with this.

Closed Thread