It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
(male)

dejm1 HB User
Bile Reflux advice

Been having acid reflux/Gerd symptoms for the last few months, mainly chest tightness and sore throat. not taking anything anymore (was taking nexium/prilosec and made me feel worse) been well over a month since i took anything except for a few tums here or there and even been a while for that.

i made a major diet change, lo-carb, and felt a lot better: no breads or wheat products especially. even had no chest pain or tightness for a few days last week UNTIL this weekend when i had 5 hamburger buns in two days and a couple hush puppies and beer. and now my chest pain and throat/bad taste acid feeling came back. i am thinking i have gluten issues since that is the kind of stuff that usually bothered me: bagels, pretzels, cake, fiber cereal.

today i had an endoscopy and he saw stomach inflammation and bile reflux and did some biopsies which i will wait for the results. does anyone have bile reflux issues and would gluten and things like that bother it? i read on-line that bile reflux is harder to control than acid reflux and concerned i am in for the long haul with this now...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Bile Reflux advice

Hi, I have the same problems. I only took Nexium for one week , didn't like the way they made me feel and didn't want to become addicted. I do think diet plays a part in relieving AR/GERD symptoms. (NOT CURE THEM) I don't think there is a cure. I found cutting out White Flour products eg Cakes/Biscuits/Pastry and anything with sugar in it did help. I have had three Endoscopys and was Originally diagnosed with H.Pylori. After treatment all the other things came along AR/GERD. I have tried so many different things but still have symptoms three yrs later. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

With bile reflux, it's quite common for drugs like Nexium to make it worse.

You might get relief from Reglan or Motilium, or a certain bile salt. If all else fails, there's a surgical procedure that may help

Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
(male)

dejm1 HB User

i will wait to see what the tests show - but cutting out most of the flour and sugars had helped a lot. even just days ago had no chest/throat problems, like a weight had been lifted. but then the buns and 2 hush puppies and beer brought it right back. so hoping it is just a wheat/gluten problem. i had read that it can take a while for that to even get out of your system... and when i first had AR symptoms months ago dosed up on breads and pretzels since i thought they were "safe". when it all started i had sharp stinging pains in my abdomen, must have been bile irritation. either way, i am going to try VERY VERY hard NOT to take any drugs at all for as long as i can!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
(female)

rover25 HB User

Might try something similar with my diet. what are you eating if ur not eating carbs? eg for breakfast?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I eat much the same every morning. Porridge with milk (I find milk soothing), Sugar free Oatmeal Biscuits with Sugarless Jam, Natural Probiotic Yogurt with some added nuts and seeds and a cup of Herbal Tea. Sometimes I will vary the nuts/seeds and have Blueberries or prunes. Thats it!.. Solofelix.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
(male)

dejm1 HB User

sometimes i have eggs, omelet - lately been having a bowl of fruit - blueberries/straw/grapes/banana/raspberries with ground flax seed, almonds, dried cranberries and honey. and i was totally on the road to recovery until my recent set back... see how long it takes to recover :-(

Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=852614

Check the thread I just made.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
(male)

dejm1 HB User

Fortunately I was mistaken and DO NOT have bile reflux, only a small amount that was in my stomach which i assume is normal. i was have dazed from the anesthesia when the doctor told me he saw bile reflux - i spoke to him for clarification and said it was normal, so i am quite relieved to hear that. Thanks for all the input you all gave though, seems we're in the same boat in a lot of ways...

Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
(female)

neptunian808 HB Userneptunian808 HB User

when you say he "saw bile reflux" what is it exactly that he saw? bile in your stomach?

nvm; i just read your last post.

Last edited by neptunian808; 06-05-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Closed Thread