It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User
Lightbulb Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy Alternative Treatments Globus/Throat Clearing/Cough

As some of you know from various threads on LSN in this forum I have been battling globus and weird sensations in my throat (trapped gas) for the last year. I have a vocal fold persis which seems to be common theme with people with globus, throat clearing, or chronic cough that doesnít go away with PPIís alone. I had evidence of LPR reflux but my larynx is complete healed and my motility (which 12 months ago was out of whack) as of the last few months is completely normal. (Swallowing, UES, and LES pressure and synchronization all within normal range)

I have had good success with 25mg amitriptyline but getting an insane amount of burning in my chest (Which doesnít seem to be heartburn but instead neurogenic burning). Gabapentin and Lyrica had too many side effects. Klonopin helps a little but is highly addictive (worse then heroin) and makes you feel like a zombie.

I am wondering if people have found any other alternatives to help other than prescription drugs. Since the theory whats causing us all this grief is vagal nerve hypersensitivity or the way the UES is behaving, I figured maybe other supplements or therapies that directly impact those nerves could potential help without side effects or provide some relief.

This is what Iíve come up with so far:

Acupuncture:
Not really much to explain. There is evidence that Acupuncture has helped some people with nerve pain, tinnitus, digestion, muscle spasms, etcÖ.

Gamma-aminobutyric acid GABA Supplement:
(500mg-1000mg) Daily
Same principle action as Klonopin, Gabapentin, or Xanax. Only issue is that current supplements are in pill or liquid form and donít pass the blood brain barrier. Not sure how effective it would be.

Vitamin B6 and B12+Folic acid:
Dosage B12 1000mcg, folic Acid 400mcg, B6 50mg
Since most of us take PPIís they do prohibit the absorption of Vitamin B12 which does add help repair nerve growth.

Alpha Liporic Acid:
300mg twice a day
My GI doctor told me about this and said itís worth a shot as heís seen some positive benefits from this supplement for globus.

Now I cannot try all these right now as I am still weaning off Klonopin, still on PPI, and still getting intermittent Globus. Itís important to try one thing at a time to see what works, doesnít work, or causes side effects. I have started acupuncture and this Friday is going to be my 5th treatment so itís still too early to tell if itís helping and I have been on Vitamin B12/B6/Folic acid for 3 months which hasnít shown any benefit.
If anyone would like to add to the list or try the Alpha Liporic or GABA supplement and post back on a weekly basis that would be great.
We are never going to get medical studies on alternative treatments so if we could ban together and try some of these things, who knows we may find an alternative solution to our problem that will help since these Dr.ís have no clue why our throats are behaving as they do anyway.
I welcome some feedback from fellow LSN sufferers.

Last edited by gpinzone; 06-02-2011 at 11:09 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gpinzone For This Useful Post:
Baffled62 (06-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread