It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User
Lightbulb Bile or Non Acid Reflux Treaments your Dr may not know about

I responded to someones question in another thread and felt it may be a good idea to make a new thread for people suffering from Non acid reflux.

Usually non-acid reflux is hard to deal with as PPI's do not help. If its bile then you may want to get your galbladder checkout out with ultrasound and possibly HIDA scan to ensure thatís functioning properly.
Did you have a manomerty done? I assume you did as itís required for proper placment of the dual channel probes when you had your test done. If not, they didnít do your ph test correctly.
Did it reveal a low LES pressure? 10-45hg is normal range for most test.

If your LES pressure is low you may need nissan fundo as thats the only thing that would prevent bile from coming up.

There are two things you can try aside from surgery or if your LES pressure is good.
First go and buy Liquid Gaviscon Advanced Aniseed flavor. You would need to take 10ml right after each meal and before bed.

You have to get it in the UK as the American and Canadian versions suck. The UK version has 1000mg of sodium alginate which makes a very strong barrier in your stomach preventing acid and non acid from coming back up. It's the only thing besides surgery that is clinically proven to prevent non acid reflux from coming back up.

Since we canít provide links on this forum, google "The Role of Liquid Alginate Suspension(Gaviscon Advanceģ) in the Management of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)"

You will see what I am talking about.
Even if your LES pressure isnít low you have nothing to lose to try it. Unless you are allergic to sodium or saccharin. Its even safe for pregnant women. Itís a little expensive because the shipping is killer from UK but its only place you can get it. Dont waste your time with the other versions. They wonít work the same way.
The second thing is taking a prokinetic agent. What this does it speed up gastic emptying in your stomach. Itís used for people who have GP or IBS because people with those disorders have food sitting in their stomach along time which ferments and causes constipation, bacteria, cramping and other stomach disorders or disconfort. So why would it work for non acid or acid reflux? Because since itís emptying out your stomach quicker your body doesnít have the chance to reflux contents back up as much. So if your food tends to stay in your stomach longer there is a better change that it can reflux. Also another benefit is that it actually adds muscle tone to your LES. That right. IT strengthens your LES muscle so that is always a good thing. Lastly, it has also been know to help motility swallowing disorders as well(This is way I took the drug)
Here is the kicker if you donít live in Canada. Reglan is the name of the drug FDA approved and prescribed in the US. It is nasty stuff. It causes some serious side effects sometimes permanent. Why? Because it passes the blood brain barrier. Side effects include muscle twitches that never go away, irregular heartbeat, hallucinations, and depression to name a few. I strongly recommend you do not take that drug regardless of what your doctor says. There are actually class action lawsuits against this drug.
There have been other prokenitecs that were taken off the market for various side effect reasons. But there is hope. There is one drug called Domperidone (Motillium) It is safe and does not pass the blood brain barrier. Itís cheap too. It was marketed to help women lactate when breast feeding many years ago. It never was FDA approved here in the US because they found the drug could potentially enter into the babys bloodstream from the breast milk. So if youíre a pregnant you canít take this drug. Also if you are women and on this drug you could potentially lactate as a side effect but other than that itís safe. I was on it for 4 months and it helped my esophageal motility issues.
You need to take 10mg 3 to 4 times day 15-30 mins before meals and once before bed(optional). I felt when I took it before bed it made me really hungry as there was no food in my stomach as I wait 3 hours after eating before bed so I just took it 3 times a day. You can do a google search for it and Canadian pharmacies. You need a script from your Doctor and you can fax script to the Canadian pharmacy and they will send you pills. Takes about 2 weeks via USPS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User
Re: Bile or Non Acid Reflux Treaments your Dr may not know about

There is a good article from the new york times call "The Damage of Reflux (Bile, Not Acid)" Google it. It has some other interesting options.

Closed Thread