It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User
Red face What to believe

I have been taking PPI's for 4 years because my primary care Dr said my symptoms sounded like Gerd to her. I took the medication and felt a lot better. After 1 year the side effects of the medicine started. Everything from palpatations to headaches etc etc.

So I decided I should try to get off this stuff. There must be something natural that I could use along with being very watchful of my diet. I bought the DGL licorice, mastic gum, probiotics before I eat, digestive exzymes after I eat. I felt I had it all covered. I worked for about 6 months ; then the rebound began. Worse pain than I had ever previously experienced. I couldnt go back to the Dr. She had told me not to try to wean off or REBOUND would happen. Boy was she right.

So I go back on omeprazole and start developing new symptoms, mucous in my throat, dry mouth, headaches the list goes on and on. Also started to have trouble breathing at night. That scared me so I did go to the Dr. She sent me to a pulmonologist who did a breathing test in his office ( very basic) and he suggested I have a sleep apnea test.

So I go for the overnight test and nothing no sleep apnea. I go back to the pulmonologist and he suggests a pulmonary function test at the hospital.

So I went for the test. It seemed to be pretty thorough. She(the technician) said I did OK but i assume they are not supposed to say anything even if you dont do well.. I go back to the pulmonologist and he says in his opinion I have severe COPD. I did smoke for about 30 years havent had 1 for 13 years so that was the last thing I expected him to say.

Now he wants me to start using inhalers and steroids, more medicine.I contacted my Primary care Dr and asked if his findings were obtained using all of the tests that were available. I never had a chest Xray or blood test for arterial gasses or any of that stuff. Of course I never was scoped before I starting PPI's for the Gerd either. It kind of makes me wonder.

You would think a Dr would want to be pretty sure before making a diagnosis as serious as severe COPD. I asked my primary care what she thought and she acted as though she didnt even want to comment??? Whats up with that???

So here I am back on the omeprazole and now an inhaler and a steroid. I guess the thing that makes me feel so unsure about all of this is that my primary care Dr the one that is untimately responsible for all levels of my health wont even give me a professional opinion about my situation.

I havent been going to this Primary are Dr all that long. I wish I could have stayed with my old Dr but It was too far to drive since we moved.

Somebody please tell me that I am just worrying too much and just follow what both Drs say. Thanks

Last edited by bigred4; 06-03-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User
Re: What to beleive

Bigred4: I went through similar stuff and was using albuterol and inhalers as well. These worked for awhile and then I started having chest pain and stomach problems all over again. I was taking Nexium and others to no avail. I had to make major diet changes, especially dairy in my case, and this helped a great deal. The breathing problems and palpitations were due to thyroid issues that have been addressed and I am doing much better. I would do some researching on this and see if your symptoms point to a different diagnosis than they are coming up this.
Also, I found HCL Pepsin to work quite well without having to get a prescription and it's less expensive as well. Take care.

Last edited by Looking4aAnswer; 06-05-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I have both Asthma and AR/GERD. Im interested in cutting out Dairy. What have you replaced your Dairy products with. I have heard before that Dairy is not good for some people. I would like to give it a try as also have a lot of Mucus/Cataarh.
Thanks for any advice, Solofelix.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Solofelix: I thought I had asthma at one point also, and it turned out the symptoms were the result of food allergies. Unfortunately, I've had difficulty finding other dairy to replace the ones causing problems and I have my days where I just HAVE to get a milkshake espresso and end up paying for it later. =) GERD is also something I have dealt with off and on over the years and I definitely had to stop eating anything with tomato sauce, spices, onions, etc., and that was tough. I posted previously that I've found HCL with Pepsin to be quite helpful without having to take Nexium or other ones that have side effects and are very expensive.

I have been told that I may have been consuming too much dairy because I used to have ice cream, yogurts, and cheese on a regular basis and at some point, I may be able to slowly introduce them one at a time, but I have to wait until things settle down to try that.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,looking4 I cant take anything with Pepsin as I read people with Ulcers should not take that (Ihave had an ulcer). I like porridge for breakfast, what could I use instead of dairy milk, is SOYA ok. I also eat Natural Probiotic Yogurt so I guess thats wrong as well. I try to avoid sugar as it dosent suit me. Anyone got any ideas. Solofelix.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
(female)

Solofelix:

I've tried different kinds of milk and still have reactions. You may have to test them yourself and see what happens. There is Coconut Milk for instance, that works well with certain things, but can too sweet for others. I haven't tried Probiotic Yogurt and does it taste ok?

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User
Re: What to believe

((Sending you support)) I really think you should see another doctor, a scope should always be done to guarantee proper diagnosis.

On another note, I had no idea dairy products are bad for LPR sufferer's?

Closed Thread