It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

BlueSky17 HB User
Looking for Acid Rebound Support =/

Hi guys!
If you read some of my profile information you can see a little bit of what I've been dealing with. I stopped prilosec a month ago now from taking it 8 months and have just been on pepcid but the acid rebound is horrible! Anyone know how long it will continue? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Looking for Acid Rebound Support =/

I was given PPIs for AR/GERD, but I decided not to take them. From what I have read they are very addictive. My friend has been on them for nearly two yrs and if he misses one he has trouble bigtime.
If the Prilosec was helping you why not go back on them. I dont think you should stop them instantly, you should wean yourself off them slowly. Try taking them as directed for a month or so and then cut back slowly. All the best, Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Typically acid rebound lasts about 2 months if you go cold turkey. One study actually found that the 1-month point is the worst for many people! Most people do a taper off of some kind, though.

Does the pepcid help? Maybe Zantac would be better.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

You need to stop gradually and use other stuff in the meantime. When I stopped i used DGL licorice 3 times a day Mastic gum and Digestive enzymes after each meal.. I also used tagamet when the burning returned because it will!! The nice thing about tagamet you can use it anytime you need it.

Start by taking your PPI everyother day for 2 weeks and treat with other things on your off day. After 2 weeks take your PPI every 3rd day for 2 weeks. It will take you 6 months to get off PPIs. If ever

I tried for 6 months and burning came back worse than ever. I am now back on PPI and feeling better. I am angry I cant get off the !#$%. They should not be allowed to sell a product like that that you will need forever. But that is pretty much has happened to everyone i have talked to that tries. But it might work for you. Dont e ver stop trying and best of luck!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
(female)

BlueSky17 HB User

Well the pepcid IS HELPING, I'm not constantly full of acid except for the times I eat poorly, and I'm taking it every 12 hours as directed. I'm also taking DGL tablets and digestive enzymes but not before every meal. I tried aloe vera juice, it was the fruit flavored kind and it seemed to make my stomach even more acidic! I'm not going to get back on the prilosec because I started having weird side effects from it so that's not an option for me. And YES it does suck that no one told me about this and instead just prescribed me all this ******** for a little bit of heartburn. I've been going through this almost a year I'm just exhausted and want off the meds!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

BlueSky17 HB User

Oh and what's tagamet? Hmmm will have to look into that

Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
(male)

willk48 HB User

I have been on a generic version of Prilosec for around 5 years. I've tried several times to stop cold turkey and had it come back within a week. This time I pried a capsule apart and noticed there are 18 granuals. I started halving my dose (removing 9 granuals and then closing the capsule back up)about 4 weeks ago and so far so good. Actually a few days ago I am now down to 1/3 dose. I plan on staying with that for a month and then hopefully be off it totally.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

BlueSky17 HB User

Yeah getting back on prilosec isn't even one of my options I totally stopped because of the side effects. It's been a month, and I'm making a promise to myself that if after about 3 and a half months things don't change that I'll find another ppi. But I just increased my dosage of pepcid to 40 mg a day, have changed my diet, and it seems to be helping. Let me know how it goes with your 1/3 dosage left.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
(male)

JimmyDean HB User

I was on Prevacid and then Protonix for over a year. I tried weaning off by taking it every other day etc but it wouldn't work. If you are on a pill that can be cut reduce the size of the pill a tiny bit every few days. Keep at it until the pill is ridiculously small. Eventually your body will reset. In the mean time... no liquids at night. I used a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in water just after dinner. Also sleep on your LEFT SIDE!!!! The stomach valve is on the right and you will get way less reflex this way.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
(male)

Willk46 HB UserWillk46 HB User

Just an update. I'm still not doing too bad on 1/3 dose. The only weird thing is that a split second before I belch I get this pain under my left nipple that goes away a few seconds later. Feels like a bubble blowing up and bursting. This just started a few days ago.

Closed Thread