It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Nexium side effects

I started taking nexium 40mg once a day. I've been taking it a week. I don't know of it is this drug but my stomach is really bad. I feel nauseous most of the time. I am a bit bloated, have wind and noises and it feels like I have a gastro bug. My stools our a bit looser than normal too. Anyone else having side effects with thiS med ? It is relieving my heartburn though. Not sure if I can tolerate it much longer I can't function with my stomach like it is right now

Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Nexium side effects

I know exactly how you feel!.. I had the very same problem and after one week on Nexium left it off. Why were you prescribed this in the first place. I got AR/GERD after treatment for H.Pylori two yrs ago. My stomach has never been right since and I have all your symptoms everyday. I just dont know what to take. It seems a lot of us have these symptoms whether we take the treatment or not. There must be something Natural that would help us. What else have you tried. I dont want to take PPIs as I dont really suffer Heartburn, but have awful stomach problems. Perhaps someone can help us both. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sometimes people get bad side effects from one PPI. Aciphex made me way crazy nauseous. If it's really bothersome, try a different one.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi all, I am new to this board, usually on the Fibro board. I've been on Nexium for years! I had the same problem in the beginning. Like most drugs if you get past the first few weeks things tend to settle down. I made it through and I am glad I did. I have Barret's (sp) Esophagus so I am on 80 mgs. a day. I tried stopping it due to cost and thought I would die. Hope you find something that works for you soon.
Low pain and low acid all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I agree with Jane. Everyone handles the PPI's differently. What works for one doesn't for another.

I've been on all of the PPI's at one point or another. For me, Nexium was terrible. I had horrible diarrhea from my first dosage. Per my GI doc, I stayed on it for a week. The diarrhea never let up. I went off it at that point. Unfortunately, for me, the side effects were long-term and I now have IBS. I didn't have similar side effects with any of the other PPI's though. Not sure why. The most effective for me were Prevacid in Solutab form (for some reason it helped me better than the capsule form) and Dexilant.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

I already had IBS, so was used to that happening. Now I have the affects from Tramadol for my Fibromyalgia. Can't win...lol! I just try to eat well and keep the motor running right if you know what I mean. I asked my PCP this week if I should try Probionics. He said I could try that and see what happens and I asked if I would have to worry about being near a bathroom while using it and he said that should not be be a problem. So that's what I'll try. He did say that my Hyatal (sp) Hernia is why I am more comfortable laying on my left side while sleeping so when I go to my Gastro will mention that. Any thoughts on the Probionics out there?
Low acid, low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My Gastroenterologist recommended VSL #3 DS. They also have VSL #3 that is at a regular dose as well. It is a probiotic that is considered a "medical food". At the Double Strength, it is often covered by insurance. The regular VSL #3 isn't covered by insurance. This probiotic is to be kept refrigerated for best effect. I purchase mine through my pharmacist who orders it for me. There is a sticky on the top of the IBS board with more on VSL 3.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Worry Bucket and Solofelix,

I tried taking several of those PPIs for years and they never really relieved the problem. I started taking HCL with Pepsin and it is available in 250 mg and a higher dose as well. I was amazed at how well this worked and it not only cost me less than the other medications, it's over the counter. I also had to make some changes in my diet because that was not only causing the problems, different foods would make it worse, and that was tough to do. I hope you're able to get some relief soon.

Last edited by Looking4aAnswer; 06-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I read that Pepsin should not be taken by those who have GASTRITIS or have had an ULCER. I have had an ULCER so I wont be able to take it.
I can toloerate GAVISCON with no problem, Its a case of finding out what suits or if you are able to take it. Solofelix.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The problem I'm having is that I'm taking domperinon as well as nexium so I'm not sure which one is making me feel sick. I actually didn't take either yesterday and today I'm just gonna take the nexium. To see which one is making me feel nauseous. I feel like throwing the whole lot away. But then I'm back where I started. I'm seeing the gastro doc on weds. Hopefully he can help me. Up until now I've seen the respiratory doc who has prescribed this med.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrybucket, I think its more likely the PPI, it did the same to me. I was also prescribed DOMPERIDONE for Nausea and found it very helpful. I know it was that because I had stopped taking the Nexium by then. All the best, Solofelix.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #12
(female)

Looking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB UserLooking4aAnswer HB User

Solofelix,

I didn't realize you have an ulcer and you need to use whichever product that proves to be useful without causing you more difficulties. I'm glad Gaviscon is working for you.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today i halved my nexium to 20mg. I hope it will still work. I just wish i knew what it is that's causing this. I need a lable also that way i can get on the right medication and hopefully get better. This condition is really getting me down. im startig to feel really low with it. I just cant seem to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

(not having a good mantra day today)

The following user gives a hug of support to Worrybucket:
solofelix (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi worrybucket. "Hugs to you"...I know how you feel, Im the same. Lump in the throat and Nausea today. Two yrs of this is too much... Hang in there, there is lots of support here. The day I found this Message Board was the best day ever, the people are so nice. Hope we soon feel better. Best Wishes, Solofelix.
PS, Try Gaviscon as well as the Nexium....

Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today and yesterday i took half the nexium. I haven't had that nausea feeling as of yet. But i havent taken the domperidone either, so i dunno which one caused that.

I'm seeing the Gastroenterologist on thursday, this is the main man as everyone thinks it IS stomach related. I dont know where to start with this Doctor but im hoping he may be able to get to the bottom of it finally.

Closed Thread