It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
(male)

tallguy HB User
Pain below rib cage?

I had an upper endoscopy that showed "mildly inflamed stomach" (my only symptom was a feeling of a lump in throat, no heart burn). I just finished my prilosec for 2 weeks, and before that I was on Dexilant for about five weeks. Now I have sharp pain below my rib cage in the middle... it almost feels like it pops when I take a deep breath. It hurts to apply pressure to that spot. Is this a normal part of the stomach inflammation? Or should I be seriously concerned about this? What would help with the pain, tums maybe?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Pain below rib cage?

You just stopped Prilosec? It's normal to have digestive symptoms during the quitting period, even ones you didn't have before. But if you're going through PPI rebound, taking Tums is like trying to put out a house fire with a watering can.

Either take the Prilosec every other day for a while, or go get some Zantac. You can take up to 4 Zantac every day. When I quit, I took 1 before each meal and 1 before bed, and gradually cut that down as my digestion returned to normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
tallguy (06-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
(male)

tallguy HB User

Thanks, I didn't think I would have a rebound from only two weeks of taking prilosec (generic by the way) -I know I took Dexilant before that but the dr. said there is no need to ween off of that. I happen to have two prilosec left... I will take them every other day. Could you recommend generally how long I should do this?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It really depends on the person. Do 1 every other day until you feel normal on that, then take one every three days. It could take a month to get totally free of it.

Some people come off of the PPIs easy, but some people have a lot of pain, and for some reason many American doctors are very reluctant to believe rebound exists. The research into it is all taking place in Europe.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
tallguy (06-06-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
(male)

tallguy HB User

Is it normal to have pain below the rib cage right in the center? It hurts to touch. I only see stuff about the left or right side online. I don't know if I should get it checked out or if it's part of the reflux?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
(male)

tallguy HB User

My chest is on fire, I never even had this problem before taking and stopping PPIs. Does a rebound make your condition worse? My doctor doesn't seem to believe in rebound and says if it bothers me I can take more. I just want to know if this rebound burning can causing more damage to my stomach?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have no idea why so many doctors refuse to believe rebound exists. I am the last person on the planet to believe in conspiracy theories, but some part of me still thinks someone at the drug companies HAS to be deliberately hiding evidence.

Can the rebound burning be dangerous? Maybe. Depends how severe it is and how long it lasts. But clearly you need to do some sort of taper off protocol, or buy some Zantac or something.

Closed Thread