It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
(female)

Sleepwalk HB User
Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Issues

Seldom do things happen to us in a vacuum. I am being assessed for an immune deficiency disorder I may have had all my life. It ties in with the GERD and the breathing problems I have as a result of the GERD. Things are better in some ways and so-so in other ways.

I will say I have no more acid coming up felt or silent. There is a huge improvement in that area. I lost my ability to taste as a result of the continual acid and that's getting better at last. Things take time.

I still sleep with my the head of my bed elevated but I no longer need PPIs and for that I'm very grateful.

Life is getting more normal for me. It's not the same normal I knew before the surgery or before GERD or the hernia or gastritis and IBS but it is getting better very slowly.

I do not have any patience. I am learning to have patience. It's either that or croak. I've had a career, raised a beautiful family, have a wonderful husband and am living well in my retirement but I am not a patient person.

The more patience you can practice the better off you will be. I want to get well "yesterday" and that's not how this surgery works whether or not you have extenuating circumstances. And I think most of us do.

When do you see your doctor next and have you asked all the questions you need to ask him? Don't be afraid to. If they can't answer your questions they don't deserve your business. My doc was good about answering questions as far as the NF went. The other stuff was out of his hands and that's where I had to become my own advocate. Don't be afraid to do that either. Stand up for yourself.

I hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
(female)

marketplace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post
Seldom do things happen to us in a vacuum. I am being assessed for an immune deficiency disorder I may have had all my life. It ties in with the GERD and the breathing problems I have as a result of the GERD. Things are better in some ways and so-so in other ways.

I will say I have no more acid coming up felt or silent. There is a huge improvement in that area. I lost my ability to taste as a result of the continual acid and that's getting better at last. Things take time.

I still sleep with my the head of my bed elevated but I no longer need PPIs and for that I'm very grateful.

Life is getting more normal for me. It's not the same normal I knew before the surgery or before GERD or the hernia or gastritis and IBS but it is getting better very slowly.

I do not have any patience. I am learning to have patience. It's either that or croak. I've had a career, raised a beautiful family, have a wonderful husband and am living well in my retirement but I am not a patient person.

The more patience you can practice the better off you will be. I want to get well "yesterday" and that's not how this surgery works whether or not you have extenuating circumstances. And I think most of us do.

When do you see your doctor next and have you asked all the questions you need to ask him? Don't be afraid to. If they can't answer your questions they don't deserve your business. My doc was good about answering questions as far as the NF went. The other stuff was out of his hands and that's where I had to become my own advocate. Don't be afraid to do that either. Stand up for yourself.

I hope this helps.
This is aboslutely the truth. My NF surgery on 1/1/11 was a nightmare for me. I woke up having esophageal spasms! This was what I had hoped would be elmaed by the surgery, as supposedly reflux is what cause the spasms? A long story short, I was in the hospital 4 weeks after due to severe weight loss, and dehydration. I could not eat as nothing would go down but soup. The surgeon found my wrp was too tight. I went ack to my GI doctor who said he would dilate my esophagus and nject Botox in it. I had never heard of this. He said it helps with the esophagus spasms as it takes time for all the swelling and inflamation to go away. I have now gone 11 days without a spasm! This is my longest since my surgery!! Please take charge of your life. Each doctor only takes responsibility for his part, not for you overall as a patient. I told both the surgeon and GI doctor, I was going to a specialized medical center for "Esophageal spasms" if this doesn't get better. I know there is help somewhere as long as you don't just believe everyhting your doctor tells you. They are human beings an don't have all the answers. I pray for all of you. I would never have had this surgery if I had read these posts and other blogs first. Thank you and God Bless us all!!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #18
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

That did help a lot. Especially the part about patience, I have none....just like you. I will start to practice patience, and just look to the future and not settle in the moment. My appointment is on the 31st, and believe me....I will ask LOTS of questions. I learned about 3 years ago that I neeeed to be my own advocate. Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
(female)

Sleepwalk HB User

Stay in touch. I wish I'd had someone to lead me through my complicated recovery and maybe I wouldn't have gotten completely worn out. I went to a web site where I was misled into thinking that everything would come up roses if I just did what this one lady who'd had NF had done. Wrong.

Don't listen to anyone - even me. Listen to yourself, make sure you have a good GI, a fantastic surgeon and that you keep good notes in your journal both before and after your surgery.

I could literally have strangled the person on the web site I was following who wanted me and everyone else to pattern their recovery after hers. So many others felt the same way but they were scared to death to say how they felt or to cross her or the group leaders because they had set this lady up as the poster child for NF recovery.

We are all individuals and we didn't get sick the same way and we won't get better in the exact same way. Trust me. We all have extenuating circumstances and they need to be taken into account, treated if need be and understood by someone other than you and your mate/partner/best friend or doctor.

I could write a book about it all and actually may do so. I am a writer and had to quit my job at the newspaper due to all my health issues with my GI problems both before and after NF.

One of the big problems with NF is that most of the people helping you out medically have never had the surgery. They have studied it and know how to treat it but they don't know how you really feel. Depression and anxiety just complicate things because it gets hard to separate them one from the other.

That's why I say be sure to do a journal. I'd be in a heckuva mess right now without my journals and my medical reports and receipts.

I'm always here if you need anything.

Take care.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
(female)

questiongirl22 HB User

I am SO happy I found this site. You are such a big help, and I think writing a book would be SUCH a big help for SO many people....people that have NO clue about this website. I love how to said there are things that you cant really talk with your partner/best friend about, because it is SO true. I am about 100 percent sure that I will be on here talking to you after my surgery, it will be nice to have someone to complain to, cry to, joke with etc after that will actually GET where I am coming from!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
(female)

Sleepwalk HB User

I'll be here.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #22
(female)

female biker HB User
Unhappy Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Issues

Ok this is my first post,I had a NF March 2nd 2012,im a little over 2 weeks into it my new stomach. Im still having a hard time with pain on my surgery sight,I called this morning to my Doc's and asked for more pain meds and the nurse sais you just have to deal with the pain now..HUH ??? is this right,I have lost my appetite completely to much pain still.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
(female)

BA2905 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by female biker View Post
Ok this is my first post,I had a NF March 2nd 2012,im a little over 2 weeks into it my new stomach. Im still having a hard time with pain on my surgery sight,I called this morning to my Doc's and asked for more pain meds and the nurse sais you just have to deal with the pain now..HUH ??? is this right,I have lost my appetite completely to much pain still.
I am sorry that your doc had that response. I think it is very typical to still have pain after 2 weeks. I know I have not updated my post recently, but I just had my second NF on February 29, so I am about 3 weeks out of surgery... and I am still taking a bit of pain medicine each day. My incisions are still very sore, especially in the pm and first thing in the morning.
Through several years of dealing with gi health issues, I have learned to be persistent in requesting what I need. I would suggest calling them back and explaining yourself again. If that does not work, then I would request to speak to the doctor directly
I hope that you get some relief and begin to feel better!

The Following User Says Thank You to BA2905 For This Useful Post:
female biker (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Major pain over two weeks out is a bit unusual. Was it open surgery (one big incision) or laparoscopic surgery (a bunch of little incisions)?

My NF was laparoscopic and took place just before Christmas. The incisions on the skin only hurt for about a week. The internal pain at the actual LES took quite a bit longer to fully resolve. I stayed on a strict liquid diet for two weeks, then purees for another two weeks, then "soft" for another two weeks, and following the diet helps a lot. Nothing acidic, very few fruits, and nothing too hot, also.

Walking was great. I wasn't running marathons the week after surgery, but I did get up and walking about a bit just a few hours afterwards, and I walked a couple times a day the whole time I was home recovering. The surgery "shocks" the entire digestion, and walking helps get it back to normal.

Now, if you think what you are feeling is unusual, or the pain at this stage is more than you can bear, call your surgeon and let him know.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
female biker (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
(female)

female biker HB User
Smile Re: Post Nissen Fundoplication Issues

Thankyou,

Well its getting better day by day,and it was a lap...my partner told me the same thing you did,get out and walk LOL,Biking season is apon us,I must concure this thing,We love riding

Again thankyou

Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #26
(female)

gutgirl HB User

Sound's like I've had it easy. I try to mostly avoid carbinated drinks but rum and coke zero are still my friends. I can even belch. My surgery was done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and I've been pretty pleased. Once recovery was done I kept to a basic diet and eat when I am hungry. Try not to give in to the 'junk' food habit and have lost right at 40 pounds. Want to loose a bit more and get back to a healthy 130 or so.

Question. Sometimes when I bend foward to pick up something my chest hurts like crazy is this from the wrap? Should I worry? thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to gutgirl:
female biker (07-22-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hey, GutGirl. Always good to hear positive experiences! I have two thoughts on that chest pain:

1) Sometimes I get sore muscles in my abdomen. Stretches like the yoga pose "downward dog" help.

2) The other time I get chest pain was, during the recovery period, if I ate or drank too fast and it temporarily got stuck above the wrap. This was uncomfortable, until I learned not to eat so fast.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
(female)

qndavis HB User

Some help for gas/bloating issues. I had my Nissen in 2009. Immediately after surgery I was doing okay, not much pain....until I was allowed to start taking liquids. Wicked pain every time I drank the protein drinks and juice. More pain when I was allowed to start adding milk and I started drinking chocolate milk shakes. Then I figured it out after several months.....anything with apples or chocolate made me gassy. All that gas was what was making me miserable. I had food intolerances I never knew I had. Apples are in almost everything including all those protein drinks they wanted me to consume. Over the next few years I still had daily episodes of belly pain but nothing near the initial. It got better over time, but never completely went away. My theory is that the limited variety liquid diet for 8 weeks dumped my intestines of some of the flora I needed to digest things and it just took me time to build that back up. I can now drink limited quantities of milk and some of the things that initially bugged me.

However 4 years out I still had some gas and bloating that was annoying but not life changing. Very gradually over time though I began to have other neurologic symptoms such as memory loss, brain fogginess, joint pains, etc. After evaluation I was placed on a gluten free diet trial. VOILA all that gas and bloating immediately went away (the neuro symptoms are continuing to get better as well).

So if you are having issues with pain due to gas/bloating take a close look at your diet. Do a food/symptom log and try to figure out if the cause may be in your diet. I'm thinking I've always had intolerances to apples, chocolate, peppers, and gluten, but before the Nissen the gas was able to freely escape and I just didn't notice. My parents complained I burped a lot as a kid. But trap that gas and serious pain results.

Hope this helps someone. In general my life is SOOOO much better post Nissen. I didn't notice until I no longer had to take them that the three meds I was on prior to the Nissen were the cause of my panic attacks, nausea, and depression. Great to be mentally stable and be able to eat pizza (gluten free crust of course) with my kids. The only downfall is that the one episode of stomach virus I had was not so much fun. Apparently with that much gas and crap in my stomach I cannot vomit.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2905 View Post
I had a Nissen Fundo in January of 2009 at the age of 31. I have had acid reflux and GERD since my early teen years. It was treated with various meds, but they never worked well. I began vomiting in 2008, almost after every meal. It started as a small amount and increased to where I was loosing nearly everything that I ate. The GI doc said that the reflux caused the LES to "erode" and I could not longer keep food and liquid in the stomach. This led to the Nissen.

I was desperate to get better, so I did not research the surgery very well. My recovery went pretty well in the first few weeks. I was angry at some of the problems I had post-op, but I have learned to live with most issues.

I am still unable to burp, so I avoid carbonated beverages at all costs. I cannot vomit, stomach virus' have been spent with lots of diarrhea and dry heaving. I developed IBS after the surgery, going from constipation to diarrhea in a matter of minutes. But the two issues that I am struggling with are the chest pain and discomfort as well as the persistent intestinal gas.

After many tests and switching GI docs (now consulting with a Mayo doc), I was diagnosed with Neuropathy of the Esophagus to explain the chest pain. I still get that food stuck in my chest feeling that is sometimes mild but sometimes increases to significant pain. My doc repeated many of the tests I had before surgery- pH tests, motility tests, Upper GI, but it looks like the surgery worked and it is not acid reflux or motility issues. He said that it is nerve damage (neuropathy) caused by excessive reflux and vomiting in the past. It is being treated with Lyrica. This helped initially, but it is beginning again. Does anyone have any insight they can share on this issue? It is quite frustrating. It takes a lot of enjoyment out of my life and discourages me from eating, even small quantities of food. (On a side note, I still eat small meals and avoid real starchy foods).

I also have developed lots of intestinal gas issues that are at their worst directly after I eat and when I lay down in the evening. My stomach rumbles and gurgles loudly and sometimes hurts. I feel bloated a lot. The only relief I have is expelling the gas, but this is not always possible or appropriate I have tried OTC gas remedies like Phazyme and GasX. Does anyone else have experience with this? Suggestions?

I know that this procedure was necessary, but it has altered my life a lot and 2 1/2 years later I am still trying to adjust. Thanks!
Hi can you please describe the chest pain? Is it constant? I have chest pain where if I move the tissue hurts or something hurts in the chest area

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post

I hope this helps.
This is great news. So the hernia caused all thee problems or the diet, mine is just hernia but I don't think fp surgery is just for hernia?

I can't believe you lost your taste buds from acid? Damn I didn't know it can get worst than the problems I have now, which I thought is pretty severe. I get by by thinking positive

Closed Thread