It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
(female)

Baffled62 HB User
Is Dexilant helping or hurting me?

I have been taking this medication for about two months (60mg) since I was diagnosed with AR/GERD/Barrett's. Since I have never had indigestion or heartburn, I can't tell that this medication is helping me at all. My GI doc told me that one thing was for certain and that was I would have to take this medication (or some form of it) for the rest of my life. I can't eat much because of the swallowing issue which is a pain but for the last couple of days, I have had difficulty breathing and a lot of middle of the chest pain. Could this be caused by the Dexilant? It's very painful and totally uncomfortable. I'm wondering if the medicine is worth it if I'm not showing any signs of improving at all. Does anyone have experience with this medication and has it helped anyone else?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Is Dexilant helping or hurting me?

I just dont get it!!.. I have been reading up on the side effects of a number of PPIs. Now for some exciting news... The side effects are almost similar to what you are taking them for in the first place. How great is that!! I have actually found this to be true myself and left them of. But what are you meant to take. Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Baffled62 (06-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

Are there any doctors who monitor this board? Why can't we get the answers we need. I do not want to be tied to this medication and these side affects for the rest of my life. My quality of life has gone down so badly in the last couple of months, it's pathetic. Whine! Whine! Whine!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
(male)

miketx HB Usermiketx HB User

I don't think doctors monitor these boards, but I could be wrong. I've posted off and on for several months, and this board seems to be a place for users to ask and answer each other's questions, rather than a place where medical professionals provide medical advice.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

This board is a place for patients to share experiences. Generally doctors don't hang out here.

For most people with acid reflux, Dexilant and other PPI's work great. Those people are out living their lives, and not on this message board.

For some, the medicine either doesn't help, or causes other bad side effects. Sometimes people develop "tolerance" and it stops working!

Difficulty breathing and middle chest pain could be heartburn, but I would let your doctor know about this. It's possible that Dexilant just isn't the best medicine for you. There are several drugs in that class (Prilosec, Nexium, Aciphex, and a couple others) and maybe another one would be better.

May I ask how you were diagnosed with Barrett's, if you never had heartburn?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

I just woke up one day with a very sore throat and the proverbial "lump" in my throat. Was referred to an ENT who diagnosed severe acid reflux. Prescribed Nexium and I took that for a couple of weeks but it didn't help. Referred to a GI doc who scoped me and he diagnosed the Barrett's.

Thanks for your very helpful input. This Board has really been a lifesaver for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to Baffled62:
worrywartmom39 (06-09-2011)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

What medication are you on at the moment . Is the treatment for Barratts different to AR/GERD. I cant find anything that helps, at the moment I have just started GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT. Will see what happens. Solofelix.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

I don't think they treat it any differently because they don't know what (if anything) works. I am currently on Dexilant 60mg but I don't think it's doing anything. My GI doc told me that once I started taking this "miracle drug" (his words, not mine) and got a wedge pillow to sleep on, I should feel remarkably better within three to four weeks. Not so. I just bought a magnesium/calcium formula that you mix with water and I'm going to try that. Another poster to this board suggested it and I thought "what the heck? It's worth a try". I also take B-12, another suggestion from here but haven't been taking either of them long enough to see if they're going to do any good.

Let's keep in touch and share our successes (or lack thereof) in the future. Looks like these members are all the help we're going to get.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Dexilant a miracle drug? Someone's been drinking the kool-aid.

There have been a few studies that found a high dose of one PPI to be more effective than a low dose of a different drug, but no study has ever found one PPI to be actually better than another one. Individuals may respond better to one particular drug, but I've never heard of a way to predict which PPI is best for which patient in advance.

If I was in charge, whenever someone was looking at taking a PPI long-term, I'd just start them on the least expensive one. The people who failed or experienced bad side effects on the cheap one, then they'd try the pricier options.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #10
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled62 View Post
I don't think they treat it any differently because they don't know what (if anything) works. I am currently on Dexilant 60mg but I don't think it's doing anything. My GI doc told me that once I started taking this "miracle drug" (his words, not mine) and got a wedge pillow to sleep on, I should feel remarkably better within three to four weeks. Not so. I just bought a magnesium/calcium formula that you mix with water and I'm going to try that. Another poster to this board suggested it and I thought "what the heck? It's worth a try". I also take B-12, another suggestion from here but haven't been taking either of them long enough to see if they're going to do any good.

Let's keep in touch and share our successes (or lack thereof) in the future. Looks like these members are all the help we're going to get.
I know someone who had Barrets and it took 6-8 months for him to feel better on PPI's. He was taking 2x40mgs of Protonix. By then next year his BE healed 100%. So stick with it.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
(female)

spastic44f HB User

my GI doctor put me on dexilant 60mg 17 days ago and I have about 70% improvement!! hope it last~ now I haven't had any test yet to actually see what all is going on with me,I go for an endoscopy on the 15th.hope u feel better REAL soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to spastic44f For This Useful Post:
Baffled62 (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

worrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB Userworrywartmom39 HB User

I feel for you because I remember when I just woke up one day with tons of mucus in my throat, sore throat, acid coming into my throat, etc...... I had experienced GERD before because I already have that, but never the symptoms that progressed on me.

I finally went to an ENT (scheduled for allergy testing soon) but have already had the nasal scope and been diagnosed with LPR. He put me on Nexium twice a day, along with Zantac 1 time a day. Also, omnaris nasal spray which has been a miracle for me, although it is a steroid. The PPI's weren't enough for me though so I added my dexilant 60mg into the mix and with all of these together I feel loads better. I still have my bad days but all in all I am so thankful for these meds! I was so scared =( I still worry but there is now relief in site. Good luck to you and I hope my story can help you.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

worrywart, are you taking Nexium and Dexilant both? They are both PPI's.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
(male)

jcott5 HB User

I began taking Dexilant in January after Nexium failed. I have been diagnosed with LPR/GERD in 2009 and Barrett's Esophagus this year. I was prescribed Dexilant specifically for night acid. Now the night acid is as bad as it ever was. I don't experience chest pain, but I do have alot of phlegm(salty tasting), occasional burning in the throat, skin irritations and itching, feeling like I have to burp but it doesn't happen. Problem is that stomach acid is natural so I don't know whether these symptoms are related to diet, or the GERD or what. I have an appt. with my ENT and we'll see where it goes from there. Not optimistic. Think I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with this as long as I can be confident that this is not going to develop into something more serious...ie cancer.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
(male)

dejm1 HB User

i took dexilant for six weeks straight for Eosinophilic Esophagitis brought on by LPR or Gerd - I pretty much had throat swallowing issues and tightness in chest and sour taste, mucous throat, etc - helped chest slightly but made throat worse, so stopped taking it. as i've posted around lately been taking enzymes and probiotics and had profound effect. So dexilant and Nexium, Omep. etc did NOT HELP at all and made me worse...

Closed Thread