It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
(male)

AgEagle HB User
Heartburn and Constipation?

Hello Everyone

I've been having some problems with heartburn and constipation, and trying to solve both at the same time. I'm not entirely happy with how th emedications have worked, so I wrote everything out so I could keep it straight, and I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Situation:
0. I was taking Miralax and Omeprazole for maybe five years, but could never figure out why I was tired and lethargic - just assumed that was normal. Exercise helped a lot, but got in the way of my schedule, and seemed to produce an "addictive" up-down effect - I had to run to feel good.
1. Constipation and Heartburn seemed under control with Raisan Bran in the morning, and yogurt at night.
2. About a week after I started to work at a computer, 8-5, lots of gas, nausea, and chills in the midafternoon.
3. Took omeaprazole for three days, only to notice constipation, fatigue, and lethargy (similar to what I had before I dropped daily Miralax and Omeprazole)
4. After dropping Raisin Bran, and taking Milk of Magnesia (two tablespoons) to cover for the constipation issues, the gas almost entirely disappeared, and the nausea, soreness and chills were slowly improving. Worst pain was scheduled for around 2:30. Lunch was usually 12:00, so after finishing it was about two hours until symptons increased. The feeling is almost never entirely gone, except for weekends - last Saturday in particular when I was working on my feet outside.
5. Learning that MoM is not a good long-term solution (and noticing that my stools were going from large to ribbon-like), I cut that in half, and I carry Meijer "Tums" around with me, although I haven't had to use them, since I've packed yogurt in my lunch.
6. Currently looking to take 1 tablespoon of MoM every other day, yogurt where possible, and Meijer antacids to cover the rough spots.spots.

Symptoms (In order of most frequent/annoying)
1. "Sore Muscle" pain right under bottom of ribs with somewhat sharper pain when probing under right rib
2. Nausea
3. Chills
4. Fatigue
5. Occasional Dehydration - seems to actually increase with more water, like the two large Taco Bell lemondaes that made me really full but never came gushing out like I expected them to.
6. Occasional acid reflux
7. Somewhat light constipation - seems ok with 1 tablespoon on Milk of Magnesia per Day
8. At worst points, dull pain when breathing out - dont't feel comfortable letting breath all the way out

Medications:
1. Milk of Magnesia: started at two tablespoons, but should be down to one every other day. Seems to help both constipation and acid.
2. Miralax: for constipation,was taking it daily, stopped using it somewhere around January/February. (slowly ramped down)
3. Omeprazole: for acid, was taking it daily, stopped with the Miralax in January/February. (Cold Turkey)
4. Meijer Antacids: for acid, quick, short term. Still use them.
5. Yogurt: For acid, lets me sleep at night. (It does seem hard to get down at times, but that's probably just a yogurt thing, since I haven't noticed that elsewhere)
6. Raisin Bran: Ate one bowl daily, for fiber. Worked fine until I started a sit-down job.

Notes:
-I am (barely) underweight for my height - around 130 pounds, down from a max of 138-140.
-I am (significantly) under the healthy fat percentage - scale says 6% fat.
-my posture isn't always the greatest, but it's much better that it used to be (can sitting up too straight cause constipation? My work chair is an ergonomic one, and I seem to sit up pretty straight.)
-sleep is the worst early in the night, but sometimes seems to clear up perfectly later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Heartburn and Constipation?

Have you seen a dr with these symptoms. It sounds like you need both a Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. The pain on the right hand side under the ribs could relate to a Gallblader problem. The left side which you dont appear to have is generally linked to Diverticulitis.
It could be IBS but the only person to diagnose you is your Dr. Treating yourself is not a good idea and any stomach problem should be investigated and the correct medication prescribed. See your Dr and set your mind at rest. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Closed Thread