It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

davysmom HB User
Please help me should I have a endoscopy?Please read

I have had acid reflux since 2007 and severe this year.Dr referred me to a gastrologist.I had a barrium swallow which came back small hernia,everything else came back great.She said you are morbidly obese and this is causing you acid reflux and causing the pain from the hernia to cause chest pain which I had all test and no heart problems.She felt stomach and says it feels fine with no pain.She upped my rantadine from 300 to 6oo mg a day.She said I believe the change of diet and exercise and your right dosage will fix the problem but I can schedule a endoscopy if you want.Do you think the barrium was enough evidence since i'm not having trouble swallowing and hurting etc that I need to get to business and eat right and lose weight and see what happens with my symptoms?I figure I'd work hard on doing this for a couple mths and if it still bothers me I can reschedule the endoscopy.WHEN SHE SAID THE TEST SHOWED EVERYTHING WAS OKAY AND I SHOULD CHANGE MY LIFESTYLE SHOULD i BELIEVE HER.Now I'm scared if I call and say i'm gonna work on my weight and health for a couple mths and see what helps and cancel test for now she will be mad.Now that i've seen her for the first time i dont think i will need a drs referral again will I ?Has anyone else decided to try to fix it theirselves and not do the endoscopy?Thank you Anne

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Please help me should I have a endoscopy?Please read

Hi there! You are not alone. I have the same problem. I have had acid reflux for the past 5 years. I think it flare up due to menopause and the extra 20 to 30 pounds I need to get off the midsection. I did have an endoscopy a couple of years ago and the doctor never found anything wrong. So its up to me now to get this under control. I am trying to workout as much as I can and change my diet. I can always tell when I am under stress because it really acts up.

You can do this! It just takes the will power to control your foods, lower the stress and get some kind of activity in your life. I would recommend taking probiotics. I also got some aloe vera juice that coats the throat and stomach. I also take some food enyzme capsules before eating to help digest things. As we age our body starts to not have as much of that in our stomach. These things help with that. It will be ok! Maybe you can avoid the endoscopy. If you have this done though, don't worry. Its painless and doesn't take long.l

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
davysmom (06-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I really cant see where weight comes into this. I am as skinny as a rake and have AR/GERD, a small Hiatal Hernia and Diverticulitis. I have all your symptoms and am never sure which one of my Conditions causes the most problems.
Because I am prone to Candida I cut sugar out of my diet, I would recommend this to you as its a sure way to lose weight. I didn't need to lose weight but the sugar had to go and I lost 14lbs in just over two weeks. When I say sugar I mean everything containing sugar. I replaced it with XYLITOL. It is always good idea to maintain a healthy weight and you will feel better for it. If you choose to have an Endoscopy, have no fear it is a simple procedure. Good Luck, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
davysmom (06-12-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Will you need a referral to see this doctor again? Ask your insurance company, it depends.

Do you need an endoscopy? Well, you could schedule it for a couple months from now, and see if you improve in the meanwhile with lifestyle changes.

Is weight a factor? Yes. Certainly, there are skinny people who have acid reflux, (including me!) but belly fat increases pressure on the abdomen, which increases the risk of reflux. We have had some people here who saw a substantial improvement in symptoms after weight loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
davysmom (06-12-2011)
Closed Thread