It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

spastic44f HB User
crazy???? or healed????!!!

so I had my endoscopy today and was/am shocked! they put me on dexilant60mg 3 weeks ago and I have been about 70% better...my endoscopy was NORMAL?! so either it made it so much better nothing showed or i'm stark raving mad?! what is very ODD to me...is jst last night I woke up 3 times with vomit in my throat!!!! I AM VERY CONFUSED!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
(female)

spastic44f HB User
Re: crazy???? or healed????!!!

ALSO wanted to remind,my symptoms have been.severe gas? pressure in upper stomach/chest..under right ribs,lump in throat and the most disturbing of all SOB...that I swear as silly as it sounds is a lot worse when bending over for some reason and on exherting myself!! a lot of thi has gotten better,but yesterday I had the SOB and all I was doing was bending over picking cuumbers for literally 3 minutes maybe! so frustrated. praying that the meds will just continue to work and make this all go away

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Normal endoscopy = no visible damage to the esophagus. Which is good, because erosions and scarring can lead to a lot of other problems, from trouble swallowing to cancer.

However, even if your esophagus is intact, you may still be refluxing.

If the Dexilant has helped a lot, give it more time, maybe try a few more lifestyle measures.

I also hate the way I feel when I bend over, it's nasty! Bending over means increased reflux, which can make my lungs more unhappy.

Last edited by janewhite1; 06-15-2011 at 03:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
spastic44f (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

spastic44f HB User

so....the endoscopy wouldnt have to show reflux for u to have it? I wondered about that! thanx sooooo much for responding!!! and I sure hope u are well!!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
(male)

kiidzero HB User

I had an endoscopy this morning at 8:30am . To my surprise, the doctor also wrote "NORMAL" under the findings. I don't remember much of what was said because of the amnesia effects of the drugs. I don't even remember how I got home lol. But I've had symptoms over a year now which started out as mild pain in the evening then progressing to an all day thing with worsening pain. The pain is localized in my abdominal region (feels like a burn) and is often worsened by the typical "trigger foods". The pain can be sharp sometimes and will radiate through my lower back and sides. Sometimes, I get it if I go too long without taking my PPI. Then some days I feel like I'm cured which makes me wonder what I have.

I wonder if the PPI did more harm than good. Perhaps, what I've been experiencing lately is textbook acid rebound. I take the PPIs on average no more than 2x's a week (sometimes once a week). I was prescribed Dexilant 60mg earlier in the year and I'm currently taking Prilosec 20mg.

Anyways I'm happy with the results since everything looked normal. However I wish the doctor had given me more advice or information aside from his writing "NORMAL" under the findings. Since my mom was in the room the doctor told her some people simply "produce too much acid" which could lead to these symptoms.

I was advise to continue to take the PPI on an "as-needed basis". Since, the doctor said everything looked normal. Now I'm going to be labeled a "hypochondriac" by everyone I know

Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I agree with Jane. You can have reflux without damage to your esophagus.

In my case, I've had 3 endoscopies come back normal, but 3 pH tests and 2 Barium Swallows confirm I have extremely severe reflux. (My GI doc swears I have a cast iron esophagus.)

I'm just happy that with the normal results. I still have to focus on keeping the acid under control and preventing future damage.

Congrats on your good results.

Closed Thread