It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
(female)

woodd58 HB User
Zantac and Protonix not working?

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux and have been on Protonix in the morning and Zantac in the evening and about every 5 days, I don't feel good. I still have the burning/pressure in the chest and lack of energy. The episode lasts about 1-3 days, then I feel better for about 5 more days.
I visited the GI doctor last week for a followup after my upper GI, and he said that I could take 2 of the Protonix, but that sometimes insurance companies frown upon that. He gave me some samples of Nexium to use on days when I don't feel good, but it is not helping much.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to woodd58:
MountainReader (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Zantac and Protonix not working?

I was prescribed NEXIUM and was told I could also take GAVISCON as well.
Not all at the same time but as and when I felt I needed something more.
Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Zantac and Protonix not working?

Every PPI has different effectiveness for each person. My GI doc recommends staying on PPI's for at least a month at a time before determining if it is working or not. It takes some time to heal so don't give up after 5 days.

I've had Zantac, Gaviscon and Pepcid all recommended as supplements to the PPI's. They are all safe with them. Personally, I prefer the chewable Gaviscon. Again, each person is different so you will need to see what works for you.

I've taken PPI's twice a day for many years. I do have to have my doctor typically file appeals with insurance to get them to approve my prescriptions, but Protonix is typically one of the basic ones they start with and I didn't have any trouble getting approval for it twice a day.

Have you made diet and lifestyle changes yet? That is a must in addition to the medication as well.

Closed Thread