It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
(female)

foreverinmyhart HB User
Ulcerated Vocal Cord - Please Help

A few years back I was diagnosed with GERD. I was put on Nexium and was told to avoid caffeine, chocolate and mint. I did great for many years even after stopping the Nexium while I was pregnant.

Lately though (since the winter) I have been bad.....drinking some caffeine, not watching my diet and the GERD has returned. It's weird, I don't even have heartburn or feel the acid, the only symptom I get is a strange tickly cough that doesn't go away. This time though, I also have an issue with my vocal cord, it gets a stabbing pain and I have trouble yelling.

Anyway, I went to the ENT two weeks ago and he (at first) thought it was GERD and wrote me out an RX for Nexium. However, when he looked down my throat with the scope, he said my left vocal cord is extremely ulcerated. He wants to biopsy it on 6/29 to find out what is going on. I asked him if it could be caused by the GERD and he didn't think so. I totally freaked myself out thinking I had throat cancer but after researching things, I really now do think it is caused by GERD and the chocolate protein shakes I have been drinking for months now.

So....I have stopped the shakes, I am taking the Nexium just to see if that helps the ulcer heal faster and I am using my voice sparingly (not yelling or speaking loudly) I had a follow up appt with the ENT today and he said that things didn't look any better. His words were, my vocal cord looks 'bothersome' He did mention the 'C' word a few times (saying that they want to rule that out) I am 43 years old, a non smoker and in great health. After doing much research, I really think it was the shakes that caused the initial problem. I have only been on the meds 2 weeks and I only take 40 mg once a day. He now wants me to increase to twice a day.

I really don't want to have the biopsy done (at least yet) as I would really like the meds to be given a chance. I am also going to get some aloe vera juice tomorrow as well.

I guess my question(s) are - has anyone else had this problem and did everything turn out alright? Do you think this could have been caused by the chocolate protein shakes? Am I stupid for not having the biopsy done on the 29th?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Ulcerated Vocal Cord - Please Help

I do believe that Chocolate, in fact anything with sugar, caffeine and a poor diet will aggravate AR/GERD. I have the same problem, I am fine if I eliminate certain things but then I slip back on all my good intentions and pay for it with worse symptoms.
I definitely don't believe the Chocolate shakes alone would cause this.
It sounds more like the Acid , which is why you have been prescribed Nexium.
If it was me I would have the Scope , as it's a simple procedure and I would want to know as soon as possible what they would find.
I wish you the best, Solofelix.

Closed Thread