It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

Jay689 HB User
LPR/Endscopy result

I have had to go back to the drawing board.

My Endscopy showed that I had no problems. I had a regular amount of Acid to any normal person.

Its now LPR vs Vocal misuse in my mind now.

I had speech therapy once before and did not buy into it. I might need to give it another chance.

The Doctor did however give me a new drug to try called Domperidone. Its sold over the counter in the UK (but did initially raise my concerns as I believe its illegal in the states). The point of the drug; to speed up digestion.

Being a believer in the natural way - I believe Psyllium husk fibre and digestive enzymes is a far better way.

To this day the best things for my LPR still remain as:

1. Psylium Husk Fibre before I eat anything in the morning
2. Mixed Fruit for breakfast (guranteed to go to toilet immediately after eating this and a coffee).
3. Digestive Enzymes before meals
4. DGL licorice (normally called upon at when symptons arise).

I can go through patches of 2 months at a time and I forget I have LPR, but I get confident and stop being disciplined.

For me - its a routine as much as anything.

I need to be regular with my bowel movements it has a massive affect. The bowel movement has to be a soft stool. If its not I know I have to up the fibre. Apples help alot.

Like I said - I get confident and start eating more breads and pasta's and cut down on the ritual above.

I find I can eat Chocolate and Coffee - but I must eat lots of veg, and fruit in between. I can't upset the bowel movement routine. If I am going to the toilet at 08.30 every morning - and the next morning I don't go until later or even at all, I know I have to swing it back on the fibre. I'll have some more Psylium husk for example.

The LPR is never gone - but at times I forget it. I am a sales person so I have to talk alot!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: LPR/Endscopy result

Have you been to see an ENT yet?

I've had 3 Endoscopies that have all come back "normal". pH testing and Barium swallows show my acid reflux is extremely severe. I had an upper (probe above the UES) pH test last fall that is designed to measure gaseous reflux and it showed I had acid in my throat 46% of the day--even though I felt good on the day of the test. (A search of Restech will give you more information on this.) Because of my experiences with this, I don't believe in the Endoscopy as a definitive reflux test. It just shows if the acid has damaged your esophagus.

Also, scopes by my ENT showed throat inflammation. Is your throat inflammed?

The Modified Barius Swallow/ Esophagram test also showed acid coming back up to irritate my lungs and throat.

If you want confirmation on if you are having acid reflux events or not, I'd recommend further testing. For LPR, I was impressed with the Restech pH test.

From what I understand, the Domperidone is good for motility issues with your digestive system. That goes along with your work to stay regular. My GI doc wants me at 40 mg of fiber daily.

Have you had a Manometry done yet? It measures the pressure in your esophagus and LES. It would help determine if you are having any esophageal motility issues as well. I typically have the manometry in conjunction with pH testing.

Good news on your Endoscopy though.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
(male)

Jay689 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Have you been to see an ENT yet?

I've had 3 Endoscopies that have all come back "normal". pH testing and Barium swallows show my acid reflux is extremely severe. I had an upper (probe above the UES) pH test last fall that is designed to measure gaseous reflux and it showed I had acid in my throat 46% of the day--even though I felt good on the day of the test. (A search of Restech will give you more information on this.) Because of my experiences with this, I don't believe in the Endoscopy as a definitive reflux test. It just shows if the acid has damaged your esophagus.

Also, scopes by my ENT showed throat inflammation. Is your throat inflammed?

The Modified Barius Swallow/ Esophagram test also showed acid coming back up to irritate my lungs and throat.

If you want confirmation on if you are having acid reflux events or not, I'd recommend further testing. For LPR, I was impressed with the Restech pH test.

From what I understand, the Domperidone is good for motility issues with your digestive system. That goes along with your work to stay regular. My GI doc wants me at 40 mg of fiber daily.

Have you had a Manometry done yet? It measures the pressure in your esophagus and LES. It would help determine if you are having any esophageal motility issues as well. I typically have the manometry in conjunction with pH testing.

Good news on your Endoscopy though.
Yes Barium swallow and ENT was one of the first things that I had done. I was prescribed PPI's off the back of it.

However - it has been a few years now, so I will go back as next point of call. I wouldn't mind having the vocal chords checked.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
(male)

gpinzone HB Usergpinzone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Jacob View Post
I have had to go back to the drawing board.

My Endscopy showed that I had no problems. I had a regular amount of Acid to any normal person.

Its now LPR vs Vocal misuse in my mind now.

I had speech therapy once before and did not buy into it. I might need to give it another chance.

The Doctor did however give me a new drug to try called Domperidone. Its sold over the counter in the UK (but did initially raise my concerns as I believe its illegal in the states). The point of the drug; to speed up digestion.

Being a believer in the natural way - I believe Psyllium husk fibre and digestive enzymes is a far better way.

To this day the best things for my LPR still remain as:

1. Psylium Husk Fibre before I eat anything in the morning
2. Mixed Fruit for breakfast (guranteed to go to toilet immediately after eating this and a coffee).
3. Digestive Enzymes before meals
4. DGL licorice (normally called upon at when symptons arise).

I can go through patches of 2 months at a time and I forget I have LPR, but I get confident and stop being disciplined.

For me - its a routine as much as anything.

I need to be regular with my bowel movements it has a massive affect. The bowel movement has to be a soft stool. If its not I know I have to up the fibre. Apples help alot.

Like I said - I get confident and start eating more breads and pasta's and cut down on the ritual above.

I find I can eat Chocolate and Coffee - but I must eat lots of veg, and fruit in between. I can't upset the bowel movement routine. If I am going to the toilet at 08.30 every morning - and the next morning I don't go until later or even at all, I know I have to swing it back on the fibre. I'll have some more Psylium husk for example.

The LPR is never gone - but at times I forget it. I am a sales person so I have to talk alot!
If you really want to get to the bottom of whats going on you need to do a manaomtery and a 24 hour dual impedance ph test.

Manometry will show if youw swallowing motility and UES/LES pressure.
The 24 impedance test will show if you are refluxing any acid or bile. Depending what readings you get will determine treatment.

Domperidone is a great drug. It strengthens LES pressure, helps swollowing motility, and emptys out your stomach quicker. The drug is good for both acid and non acid clearance.

Closed Thread