It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Worrying about my endo on friday

I'm finally after months of being unwell going to have an endoscopy on friday. But im really scared for 3 reasons...
1) my bp is fairly low and the sedation drugs make it go even lower and it takes ages for the medical team to get my bp back to normal again.

2) im a terrible gagger, im scared i will be sick or cant tolerate the tube donw my throat.

3) im scared of the results.

Will they tell me immediately what they saw or found?

The Doctor did say he was going to take some tissue samples, what for? ive been tested for H pylori from a blood test I think. I'm confused, and dont want it done, but i have to find some answers for my acid reflux.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Worrying about my endo on friday

Hi Worrybucket, Good Luck for Friday!..Honestly Don't Worry about the Endoscopy. I have had three of them. While you are waiting a Dr will go over your medical history with you, you will be treated accordingly. You will be taken to the treatment room and asked to lay on your left side, a mouth shield with a hole for the tube will be placed in your mouth, it is to stop you biting the tube and is no problem. The IV which will have been put into the back of your hand before you go into treatment is for the sedation which will be given to you.The sedation is given straight away and you will be gone to LA LA land and wont remember a thing about it when you come round in recovery room.
I am an Asthmatic and had no problems at all. I had no after effects, some have a slight sore throat. Don't worry about it, Drs do lots of these everyday. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
(female)

Luvmyhorse HB User

You will find out your results right after the procedure - of course, I was so out of it that my husband had to listen and relay the results to me later, lol...I was scared to have it done also, but I'm glad I did. I asked for just enough meds to sedate me and not put me to sleep, but I ended up going out anyway. If I have to do it again, I will ask to be put to sleep. It will be over before you know it and when you wake up, you won't even remember what happened. In a few hours, I was feeling fine. They took several biopsies while down there and I was negative for Barretts and any kind of cancer, etc. You will feel better after it's over and you know exactly what you are dealing with.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
I'm finally after months of being unwell going to have an endoscopy on friday. But im really scared for 3 reasons...
1) my bp is fairly low and the sedation drugs make it go even lower and it takes ages for the medical team to get my bp back to normal again.

2) im a terrible gagger, im scared i will be sick or cant tolerate the tube donw my throat.

3) im scared of the results.

Will they tell me immediately what they saw or found?

The Doctor did say he was going to take some tissue samples, what for? ive been tested for H pylori from a blood test I think. I'm confused, and dont want it done, but i have to find some answers for my acid reflux.

Worrybucket,
I meant to say that a biopsy found my H.Pylori after blood tests showed Antibodies, so perhaps it is more reliable.
You wont know when the tube goes down your throat as they dont insert it until you are asleep.
They tell you or whoever is with you the reults before you leave the Endoscopy Unit.
Hope this helps you. Solofelix.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Worrybucket,
I meant to say that a biopsy found my H.Pylori after blood tests showed Antibodies, so perhaps it is more reliable.
You wont know when the tube goes down your throat as they dont insert it until you are asleep.
They tell you or whoever is with you the reults before you leave the Endoscopy Unit.
Hope this helps you. Solofelix.
I wont be going right out to sleep, its like a twilight sleep, half in half out, last time i had it done i gagged a bit when they were pulling the tube out i dont remember it going in at all, i hope its like that tomorrow. I'm also worried about slow breathing and my BP when it doesnt come back up as fast as others do. Then im worried about the rsults grrr i just want this over with.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket,
Hope the scope went off Ok!!..
Let us know the results and all the best.
Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Worrybucket (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok the Endo's done.

They kept me waiting 2 hours before my procedure. That was way worse than the procedure itself !

I had a mild sedation and didnt remember a thing. It's weird ! i sort of remember gagging a bit at some point.

Anyway all done and guess what !!!! i have a hiatus hernia, a small one thank goodness but there is one, hence the reflux and acid for soooooooo long. They are not doing anything about it other than medicating me. I'm seeinbg my Gastro in 2 months time !!!he left before i woke up i got this report from the nurse. So i presume i go to my GP and he takes over now , i dont know. I will carry on with meds until i go back and see my Respiratory Doc who will advise me.

I'm just happy i have something to work on getting better now instead of months of wondering what the heck it is or was. My Doc took 2 biopsies from the hernia which is normal procedure, thay are also testing me for H pylori, which the urse was pretty certin i didnt have, those results are back within 10 days.

So thats it and TONIGHT im gonna have a glass of wine and suffer now i know what im suffering with.
Solo thank you for all your support, you have been a great help Will keep in touch about results.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket, I'm so pleased its over for you and now you know your problem. It's the very same as mine (HIATAL HERNIA). I also have DIVERTICULITIS and the famous AR/GERD. Keep an eye on your diet, I cut out sugar/bread/cakes and chocolate. Difficult and I often slip-up but doing my best.
Wine is a definite NO NO for me, it burns my esophagus terrible. Keep in touch about your progress, All the best. Solofelix.

Closed Thread