It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
(male)

ppiless HB User
LPR and PVVN

I've been diagnosed with both: LPR as well as vocal fold paresis - and the LEMG test shows that there had been some sort of neuropathy which is supposedly healing now.

Now .. what the doctors have not been able to tell me - what the cause is and what the effect is here.

1) Is neuropathy the cause that resulted in LPR - so if the nerves heal, LPR heals as well

- OR -

2) Is LPR the cause of the vocal fold paresis and the nerve inflammation? LPR got triggered for some unknown reason and is now resulting in vocal issues - including vocal fold paresis etc.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Some points to consider:
- I did not really have a upper respiratory tract infection when all this started.
- Initial symptoms were all LPR related and then the throat symptoms started later .. so I am assuming it is #2 .. can LPR "cause" VFP - and even some sort of neuropathy?

Last edited by ppiless; 06-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: LPR and PVVN

At this point, it may not matter which one started the problem. I'd just treat both at once.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
(male)

ppiless HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
At this point, it may not matter which one started the problem. I'd just treat both at once.
Well, I am hoping it is neuropathy that has caused the LPR, since at least it has a way of healing by itself and since I can not take the PPIs or any acid reducers (I get horrific side effects on them) - I can at least hope to feel better if / when the nerve calms down.

Last edited by ppiless; 06-23-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

In that case, I'd try some non-drug treatments for the LPR, including small meals and elevating your bed. It may be if the nerves calm down, the problem will subside.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
(male)

ppiless HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
In that case, I'd try some non-drug treatments for the LPR, including small meals and elevating your bed. It may be if the nerves calm down, the problem will subside.
Yes, I've been doing a lot of that already:
- Strict >ph5 diet
- Gaviscon Advance Liquid
- DGL, Aloe Vera Juice
- Early dinners

One thing I notice is that because of the paresis (vocal fold being partially open), some acid seeps up into the mouth as well - which makes things uncomfortable.

Closed Thread