It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
(male)

bwel HB User
Gastritis/GERD - meds not helping

Hello folks - my very first post

Would really appreciate any insights on the following:

- was diagnosed with gastritis and GERD in Feb '11 (4-5 months ago)
- H. Pylori negative
- Endoscopy was normal (other then showed gastritis)
- Abdominal MRI was normal (to rule out gallbladder problems)
- Have been on PPI's, high doses, several months as well as H2 blockers

Nothing seems to be helping.

Any ideas??

Thank you

Old 06-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
(male)

senior41 HB Usersenior41 HB Usersenior41 HB User
Re: Gastritis/GERD - meds not helping

bwel

Have you spoken with your doctor? What is your diet? Are you drinking alcoholic beverages?

senior41
06/25/2011

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

bwel HB User

Hi Senior, thank you for reply

I have been to 2 GI doctors, I had endoscopy and abdomen ultrasound done, waiting for impedance-ph 24 hr test in about a month.

My diet is pretty normal, I stopped coffee and even tea several months ago and in general try to avoid GERD foods, but not "religiously". I may drink a beer or 2 once a week, but thinking of cutting alcohol completely out and adhering to a more religious diet...otherwise, no drugs, supplements or anything like that. I do need to lose 20 pounds

Very frustrating to have this and not get any help from medications. Appreciate any ideas!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, weight loss can be very helpful, especially for men, because men tend to carry their extra pounds on the upper abdomen, where they can really press on the digestive system.

For the most part, a "super-strict" GERD diet is more trouble than it's worth, but sometimes it's good to do it just for a week or two, to help your digestive system settle down. Then you can gradually reintroduce more foods and see which are the most harmful to your stomach and which you can live with.

See what happens if you lose some weight. And the impedance and pH test should shed some light, also.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

alleynyc HB User

I'm sorry you are having this problem. You remind me of me! Months of medications, eating better, etc. and NOTHING. No resolution.

Every case is different but here's what I did and it helped a lot.

A) Found a doctor who is really passionate about these issues LOL. I left my doctor who was all 'well there's nothing more we can do' and found one who is, well, passionate about this. We worked hard to find something that worked for me. I'd been on a sort of GERD diet taking many PPIs and was very discouraged when I found him. He worked with me over about 2 months to get me on something that did work and at a dosage that also worked. I'm currently on Dexilant at twice the dose for someone my size. My GERD is persistent, I have Barrett's Esophagus, he wanted the reflux GONE (for that reason) and thus, THAT's what it took.

B) My doctor told me to treat myself like I was diabetic, to wit, there's no going off the diet on any sort of regular basis. That was tough to swallow but honestly sticking to a diet that works for me has made an *incredible* difference. It's totally worth it. After about a month I started to notice how much better I felt. You learn as weeks pass how to deal with it, what you can tolerate, what you can't and I will say - now that I'm in a groove and having no acid reflux ever (due to diet and drugs), I *did* go off it recently and well, nothing tastes THAT good IMO. At least that's me. I immediately remembered how bad I feel and realize I am so relieved to not feel like crap, I'm happy to eat 'my stuff' and leave the rest behind.

Alcohol was the toughest and not eating at night but it's totally paid off.

C) I also have IBS which was giving me GERD like symptoms. This is my doctor's take. So I also watch IBS triggers and exercise a lot and take probiotics so the IBS that seems like GERD has also largely resolved. I'm annoyed by it once per week - mostly due to bloating. Much better than every day.

So best of luck. There are stronger and stronger drugs out there; find a doctor who will play with them. Additionally, maybe take 4 weeks and knock out all GERD triggers and see if there's improvement. Beer was one of my absolute worst - FYI. I'm really bummed that person above poo-pooed a GERD diet b/c at least for some of us, it's a life saver.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Oh, don't get me wrong. Dietary changes are great, and I've made quite a few. I've been without citrus, tomato products and fried foods for so long, I hardly even think about them anymore. I also avoid coffee, tea, and soda. I find that all foods trigger me to some extent, so I just avoid the ones that upset my digestion the most. And there are a few bad ones I just have to have once in a while, like fresh fruit.

When I have a bad flare up, I go super-strict until I feel better, then reintroduce a wider variety of foods as tolerated. On the strictest GERD diets, it can be hard to even get adequate nutrition, and for a lot of patients, a strict diet isn't much better than a moderate GERD diet.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
bwel (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
(male)

bwel HB User

Dear Alleynyc,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is really resonating with me. I have been feeling that the diet may hold one of the keys. I also have been frustrated with doctors who approach this as "just GERD" - I do not feel they recognize how debilitating this condition is.

Can you share who your doctor is? I am 3 hrs from NYC and would definitely consider making the trip for a consultation.

Best

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
(female)

ChiefsLady66 HB User

Had gastic bypass and it took my GERD almost totally away....they were thinking of rebuilding my esphogus due to the scar tissue from the GERD..now one thing that helps and learned from my mom who is a nurse...go to your local health food store...get liquid chlorophyl...it helps bigtime...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

alleynyc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwel View Post
Dear Alleynyc,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is really resonating with me. I have been feeling that the diet may hold one of the keys. I also have been frustrated with doctors who approach this as "just GERD" - I do not feel they recognize how debilitating this condition is.

Can you share who your doctor is? I am 3 hrs from NYC and would definitely consider making the trip for a consultation.

Best
My doctor is great and, at least for me, he's IN network which is a total bonus (check your insurance for that).

Eric Morgenstern at Gotham Gastroenterology. Google him. My previous doctor was very similar sounding to yours "it's just GERD" - so frustrating. I'm a professional singer and this was effecting my career. Dr. Morgenstern has taken that aspect very seriously and has been great to work with especially while we experiment with getting it all under control. My voice is easier than it's been in YEARS so I naturally worship him LOL. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
(male)

gerdsufferer HB User

bwel.

I have exactly what you describe, and i also had a doctor that couldn't help me, but now after have 10 years i got courage and have met another doctor. This 10 years, have been like you say you experience it, somewhat devastating for my life.

I just want to add one thing, and that is, that i personally don't have any heartburn. Just cough and vomit attacks

...sorry for my poor english

Old 07-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
(male)

bwel HB User

Dear gerdsufferer, your English is great! I am glad you finally found someone who can help you. Sorry to hear about 10 years of suffering.

Can you share what made the difference for you? How was the new doctor different from the previous one(s)? What was different about his approach, medications?

I and others on this board will benefit by it.

Thank you

Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
(male)

bwel HB User

Dear alleynyc,

Thank you so much for the information!

Could you also share details of your diet - it seems like it made a big difference for you?

Huge thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
(male)

gerdsufferer HB User

bwel,

I'm sorry that i was unclear in my message. I haven't really been helped as of yet, but i have visited a doctor again and i will have a gastroscopy later on this autumn, to see what have happened to my body.

Also i will inform you that my doctor both talked about Omeprazol ( I guess they are called PPI ) kind of substances or an operation. Let's see what happens, but until now i haven't been helped of PPI at all, maybe an operation will help me.

But one thing i feel knowledgable enough to give you an answer on, and that is how to live with this problems:

First of all, if you study, work or have a rich social life with much stress around you, i would feel it very, very difficult to manage ( that is if medication or operation wount fix the problem ).

I am priviligied with,that my life is very much relaxed. I sleep well, don't stress. I don't use tobacco or coffeine anymore. I try to sit upright, that is that i lay down as little as possible. I eat well with food that my system may easily digest.

One thing that i have noticed is that it takes some time to heal the body. When i did these changes to my life, it took time until my reflux started to get better, and i try not to stress about it if i get problems once in a while.

The first half of the day i mostly rest and on the evening i take a walk, and some days i do something fun. So, if you have a rich life with much stress, it gonna be very hard for you, if you can't get any medical help, but i hope you will get your help.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
(female)

alleynyc HB User

I did a bunch of lifestyle stuff when I was diagnosed with Barrett's. Here goes:

We tilted our bed so it's about 7" higher at head of bed. Took us (me and bf - who has no health problems despite eating everything spicy on the planet - go figure!) about a week to get used to. Very helpful.

I also have IBS so I have a few lifestyle changes from that which I'll include b/c they may or may not also be helping the GERD. I try to get as much exercise as possible due to IBS but I think it's also helped GERD.

Try to up your sleep and lower your stress. Definitely helpful.

For food, it was largely an experiment that remains ongoing. But I've found that there are a few things it's best to just avoid entirely:

Chocolate
Caffeine
anything fizzy - beer, soda, seltzer
anything alcoholic
tomatoes
citrus fruit and juice
anything in the onion family (completely aggravates my IBS)
garlic
pepper - definitely green and black - total no go. No pepper related spices.
Most spices although small amounts on non-spicy ones seem okay.
Avoid tomatoes although a small amount of ketchup seems okay.
Beans but that's probably more an IBS thing.

So what DO I eat:

In short, lower fat meats, bread group, lower-fat dairy group, as many fruits and veggies as I can tolerate which some days is not a lot.

Specifically:

Fresh turkey
Fresh herbs including dill, cilantro, tarragon
Ginger*
Chicken
low-fat cheese
low-fat milk
butter
yogurt
cereal
graham crackers
pretzels
micro popcorn
multi-grain bread or crackers
pasta
gummy bears
tuna
avocado*
rice and grains (bulgar etc.)
mayo and miracle whip (latter contains vinegar but I use not a bunch so it seems okay).

In the fruits and veggies category, I'm still experimenting. Originally I could only eat bananas and pears. Since I've been on meds though I can eat a bunch more stuff:

apples
bananas
pears
blueberries
corn
lettuce
cucumber*
carrots
beets
potatoes
sprouts
raspberries and blackberries*
cantaloupe*
strawberries*
zucchini and squash

* = Some times these bug me. Especially if past their prime.

Salad dressing is tough but I've found that Hidden Valley Low-Fat Ranch is fine for me. I usually put a little parm cheese in it to make it taste better (ranch or any creamy dressing is just not my usual cup of tea).

For treats/junk food, my body seems to tolerate some fat okay. Baked frozen chicken fingers, pretzels, tortilla chips (I go easy on any higher fat stuff though), grahams, non-chocolate lower fat ice cream, oatmeal cookies, gummy bears. I was a chocoholic pre-diagnosis and I confess my nervous snack of choice is now gummy bears. Not a great habit!

If you can tolerate salt, I just discovered there are different kinds of salt and they actually taste different. A friend served me grilled chicken (with nothing at all on it) with a side of Himalayan (pink) salt. Wow - amazingly good. I had no idea there'd be a difference. Yummy.

Right now I'm experimenting with fruit and veggies especially since it's summer. Apples seem to seriously help my IBS so I'm having one a day. Not sure what that's about but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by alleynyc; 07-05-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #15
(male)

h2ktekin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwel View Post
Hello folks - my very first post

Would really appreciate any insights on the following:

- was diagnosed with gastritis and GERD in Feb '11 (4-5 months ago)
- H. Pylori negative
- Endoscopy was normal (other then showed gastritis)
- Abdominal MRI was normal (to rule out gallbladder problems)
- Have been on PPI's, high doses, several months as well as H2 blockers

Nothing seems to be helping.

Any ideas??

Thank you
Hi, bwel. I am a 22 year old male, 11 stone and reasonably healthy. I was diagnosed with GERD / Gastritis just over a year ago. After many ups and downs, i'm back to square one really where nothing seems to be helping.
I was HYPLORI negative (they tested it twice)
My endoscopy was normal (apart from redness / irritation caused by acid)
and lansoprazole 30mg a day doesn't seem to be working for me.
Also was tested for anaemia, came back fine.
My symptoms are horrible stomach bloating / swollen feeling, some chest pain and a few others.
Pretty much ruled out dietary factors - it's worse after alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods (obvious triggers), but as long as you stick to small meals and avoid the obvious triggers it shouldn't be diet related.
My next step is trying to address stress / anxiety that might be causing my Gerd. This all stems from a nasty few months of taking the drug mephedrone over a year ago.
So my suggestion to you would be: rule out dietary factors (stick to SMALL portions, and avoid very spicy / fatty foods), and consider whether anxiety / stress could be a factor. Remember, you don't have to be actively stressing about something to have anxiety disorder.

Closed Thread