It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Help!! Very stressed over what to do.

I was on Aciphex 20 mg for about 10 years until August 2010. Was not put on them because of HB, just a nervous stomach. I stopped them cold turkey (wrong, I know) and took Zantac for a few weeks. I've been seeing a Naturopath since that time and I've been up and down with my reflux. I'll go several weeks with hardly any problems, only taking DGL a few times a week and then BAM! it's back and I need to lean on Zantac again. I'm in one of those periods right now and I'm trying to figure out what set it off. I think it was the citric acid in the Metamucil I was taking (not anymore).

I was to see my GP last week and she said to try Zantac 300mg at night and if that doesn't work then go to a PPI for a few weeks to heal. Now, I am so stressed over this. I don't want to start a PPI again because I fear I will not be able to go back off them. The 300mg at night does not help me during the day. I've never had nighttime problems.

My Naturopath is not in favor of PPI's and she wants to try d-Limonene. I'm willing to try anything anymore to get me through these times.

I don't have any problems with my stomach, never did. I just get daytime HB off and on which starts after breakfast and usually subsides late afternoon. It's not severe, just enough to scare me. My diet is the best it can be. I drink water only, eat as close to whole foods as I can get and am limiting my carbs right now. I have a gluten and dairy intolerance so those foods are out. I do sleep on an incline just in case but like I said, I never really had problems at night. I am normal weight and 42 yrs old. I had an endoscopy last May which was normal all the way around. It was in the next couple months I decided to go off the PPI's.

Do I go back to a PPI for a couple weeks? Do I increase the Zantac to (2) 300mg or just switch to only taking it in the morning (against dr orders)? Is it OK to take (2) 300mg? I AM thinking about calling the dr and asking what to do but I feel like she is going to tell me to go to a PPI. Then I'm doomed.

Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Help!! Very stressed over what to do.

Why not spread out your Zantac over the day, rather than taking all 300 mg at once? I take 75 mg, up to four times a day. I take it shortly before each meal and shortly before bed.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Why not spread out your Zantac over the day, rather than taking all 300 mg at once? I take 75 mg, up to four times a day. I take it shortly before each meal and shortly before bed.
I think that's what I may do. When I first went off the PPI's I took (4) 75 mg and it seemed to work. Sometimes I hate to not follow docs orders even though I know something else would work and then I get frustrated and stressed. I just want to get through this flare up. My Naturopath is having me try d-Limonene (waiting to get this). Here's hoping it works!

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

i tried going off PPIs after 4 years and it didnt work for me long term. You must combine your food triggers with your need for meds. You have to be careful of EVERYTHING you eat and drink..I think once U start you become somewhat dependent. It may work for a while trying the nat approach. But long term you have to realise the state of the disease in your particular body and deal with it accordingly. You know how you feel better than anyone. Just be aware of your body. It will tell you what it needs. Good luck

Closed Thread