It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User
Taking my chances here

Hi everyone, I need some detective help!

I have been tested for everything under the sun, with the exception of mono. I have a strong feeling it is GERD as many clues seem to point this way, and my father's got it so maybe that's my problem. Here's a rundown of my symptoms, if any(or hopefully all) of these look familiar I'd deeply appreciate a shout out(also to note, these symptoms have been ongoing for the past 3-4 months now):

- tight, painful feeling around my throat that changes location each day
- infrequent dry cough(sometimes tickling)
- white coated tongue every morning, shifts between looking EXACTLY like "geographic tongue" to being just plain coated to being somewhat patchy and nasty
- off and on sore throat
- fatigue
- belching acid right after eating
- roof of mouth persistently sore

I saw an ENT about 2 months ago and he suggested I have both post nasal drip and acid reflux. He prescribed several medications which, honestly, I think made it all worse. 2 weeks after taking his prescribed meds my tongue started sprouting white circles every morning which FREAKED me out. Since then I have seen a few GPs who are all confused and had nothing to add. I finally went to this one GP who seemed to have a clue, and prescribed only Zantac for 2 weeks. This was a miracle, the next day and for three days after my white tongue disappeared and I had a normal awesome tongue. Not only that, my throat pain went away,... BUT I got a stronger sore throat and the dry cough came back(it went away for about a month). I was totally pumped. Fourth day the white tongue came right back, white junk all over it again. I have had two GPs conduct oral swabs on me and both came back negative for candida and fungus. The stuff scrapes off so it's not leukoplakia(which can't be scraped off, so says the internet and my pile of negative HIV tests). I have also been trying to brush my tongue with a tongue brush using this zinc toothpaste which was expensive and tastes like crap, I'm also trying a multivitamin.

Any thoughts or ideas would be DEEPLY appreciated. Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Taking my chances here

Hi, I suffer AR/GERD and Candida in my mouth. (Or rather did suffer Candida in my mouth). All my symptoms started after Antibiotic treatment for H.Pylori 2.5yrs ago.
A few months ago I discovered this Mouthwash called ELUDRIL, after three weeks of use 2xpd my mouth was clear and it has never come back since. I was in pain and had White patches all over my inner cheeks and tongue which were so sore.
Even though you say you don't have Candida you could give this Mouthwash a try to see what happens. I don't take any medication for my AR/GERD, tho I was given Nexium, just did not want to go that route. Hope you find a cure, Solofelix.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User

Are there any other mouthwashes like Eludril? I'm pretty much stuck in Asia, I'm in a major city here, but the choices in medication are very limited. I tried looking for that peroxide toothpaste and mouthwash and it just doesn't exist here. My tonsils are now swollen as well, I'm just baffled by this, I don't think I have a fever and I generally feel alright, it's just that my mouth looks absolutely awful and has look awful for months now...

Old 07-03-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Sometimes Eludril is difficult to find. You may be able to buy it online. Another one which I believe is good for Infections/Candida is CORSODYL.
It might pay you to visit a Dentist/Oral Surgeon as they know a lot about mouth conditions as well as teeth.
I hpoe you soon find a cure.
All the best, Solofelix.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User

Thanks. Well, When it first appeared almost 2 months ago I took a single dose of Fluconazole which didn't do anything. Then for 7 days I took Unitran which also did nothing at all. Since then I had the two tongue swabs which came back negative for fungus. Both doctors tried to reassure me it couldn't be thrush/candida because of that, and since they scrape off, Hairy Leukoplakia and regular Leukoplakia are ruled out. That leaves me with geographic tongue which my oral surgeon suggested. However, my tonsils are quite swollen now and quite sore in the mornings. At the moment my only clue is that the Zantac returned my tongue to normal during the first few days of taking it...

Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
(male)

trikatu HB User

Hello, I'm struggling to figure out a set of symptoms quite similar to yours. I have GERD/LPR, but the various PPIs all gave me bad side effects, including the white tongue. I'm guessing it is candida (thrush), spurred on by the acid suppression, but I haven't been able to get a test done yet. The amount of whiteness definitely responds very quickly to how much sugar/dairy/yeast I have been eating.

I used to wake every morning with a kind of sulfurous taste in my mouth and mild throat soreness. Since I have been trying to follow a candida-diet more strictly both the taste and the color have been improving somewhat, though I had a piece of cake the other day and *poof* everything went white again. Like Solofelix, I'm pretty sure antibiotics led to both GERD and candida (I also have gastritis/food sensitivities), but I'm still not sure in what order or if one is causing the other! I'm curious if the candida is the root problem and it led to the GERD, but can't tell so far (and maybe the white tongue could be something else, like you said?)

I'd love to try the mouthwash but like you, I'm in Asia (Tokyo) and haven't had much luck finding anything.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User

The last doctor I saw told me that all the medicines that I took about two months ago overloaded my system and he thinks that now my immune system is *slightly* off balance. I definitely think my white tongue issue is connected to GERD somehow and that post nasal drip is also part of this painful equation. What I find bizarre is that after taking Zantac, after a week I started to get a dry cough again. It's almost like one medicine is peeling back a layer to reveal another underlying problem. Maybe you're on to something though, I have been drinking lots of soda and coffee and I eat tons of sweets. On the night that I didn't have any cake before sleeping, my tongue improved a bit in the morning. I'm now curious whether the dry cough might mean that my throat is starting to heal after starting Zantac, but I am not sure. My doctor only gave me a two week course, so I will see after I finish it. I don't even mind the stomach ache and heartburn, I just want a normal tongue again, I really miss my normal tongue...

Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Try the Candida Diet, It cant do no harm. The very fact that you eat lots of sweets shows a Red Flag. Sugar is a definite NO NO!!
I cut out almost all sugar and along with the Mouthwash is what shifted it off my tongue
and gums. Try leaving off sweets/chocolate/cookies and anything made with white flour and anything made with Pastry. Something else I found helpful was (Grapefruit Seed Extract) from your Health shop. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User

I guess I'll try that, didn't have any sweets yet today, I'll see how long I can hold off, same for breads. My mouth is just sooooo dry... I wish I could figure out how this all happened, I was nice and healthy early this year, then I had a super super stressful few months, got sick and took some powerful medicine and now this happens. I think what triggered it was about 2 weeks of Prednisone, antidepressents and a nasal corticosteroid spray, I took all of that for exactly two weeks then stopped. Add to that three weeks before then I took about a week of powerful antibiotics. So my doctor thinks I overloaded my system and it will take a long time for it to go back to normal. I have never heard of this before, but then again I should probably stop relying on Doctor Google...

Old 07-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I didnt know you had taken Antibiotics. I had these for H.Pylori and they wrecked my Stomach. It was a year later that I read that after Antibiotic treatment you should take Probiotics to buid up your good bacteria which is often distroyed along with the good after Antibiotic treatment. Get a good brand from a Health Shop. Solofelix.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
(male)

terrifiedguy HB User

I went to my local pharmacy and couldn't figure out where to find these probiotics. The best I could do was buy some of these Yakult drinks which are little Japanese probiotic drinks that are quite sweet. Are there pills I could try for this? Any recommendations? I did the yoghurt thing a while back, unsweetened, and did that for a few days but it really didn't have much effect. I am assuming I would need to completely adjust my diet around it?

Closed Thread