It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User
LPR, allergies, or something else?

So, for the better part of the last couple years I've been dealing with LPR symptoms without any results. VERY frustrating. I suffer from PND, and lump in my throat. No cough. The PPIs do help, but don't make it go away (I've taken 1 prevacid or prilosec daily--taking 2 doesn't seem to help any more than 1). It mostly affects me a few hours after eating (which is why I've always thought it was reflux). Nighttime is actually my best time--I always feel wonderful in the morning--thank goodness for that.
I've seen an ENT who diagnosed me based on red, swollen looking vocal chords. At the time I'd been on PPIs for a year and he thought it was unusual that I hadn't had total relief, so he put me on allergy meds too (allegra). They helped a little but again, didn't make it go away. I'm dumbfounded and getting a bit frustrated with this. Could it be stress/throat tension? Does this happen to anyone? I've noticed my symptoms are way worse when I'm stressed. Oddly enough, the only time I've had relief from this was when I was pregnant with my daughter--a time when a person would think reflux would be the worst! I'm 112 lbs, don't drink or smoke--taking all these meds is really having terrible some terrible affects on my body.
Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Re: LPR, allergies, or something else?

I'm sorry I can't offer advice, just that I'm in somewhat of the same boat. The only difference is I have mild heartburn to go along with it. I also have PND at times, no cough but I have throat/neck tightness, like a tension. My anxiety makes it worse, I know. Like you I don't have a problem at night and the mornings are the best time for me. It usually starts up after I eat breakfast. Reluctantly, I've gone back to the Aciphex after almost a year off. Don't know where I'll go from here.

I hope you find resolution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
(female)

ihate this HB User

sallyz..hey..been in the same boat for about 6 years now and i am only 22 very frustrating..i want my life back so bad.
i have just recently been diagnosed with l.p.r after 6 years of dizziness and not being able to breathe good at all, can't even run anymore, cronic sinus infections, pnd, lump in the throat, and going through one e.n.t 5 years ago that removed my adneoids and toncils because they were so swollen and he didn't even diagnose me. I have since learned l.p.r was a probable cause of the toncils and adneoids being so enlarged. I also don't get any relief from any p.p.i i have ever taken once or twice a day and i absolutely hate the side effects. I have managed to get by over the years despite the breathing problems and have had 2 wonderful boys in the mean time, the weird thing is i also didn't have as many problems while i was pregnant with either child. I was so scared with my past experiences with it that when i got pregnant i wouldn't be able to breathe at all but i was fine the entire pregnancy. i have an 8 month old and just recently had gallbladder surgery and my l.p.r has been so flared i have been out of work 4 weeks total 2 was automatically from surgery but the other 2 has been l.p.r. My breathing is back so bad i can barely walk around and breathe good. I am so frustrated and so sick of drs apps i don't know what to do anymore.....

Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User

Thanks for the replies!
i hate this--I've always thought the strangest thing about this whole reflux thing was that it went away during pregnancy. If it's due to a weak LES valve it should get much worse during pregnancy, right? Actually, I did suffer the first trimester but then like magic when my second trimester hit it went away until I was 3 months postpartem. It's got to be hormone related I think.
I do know for sure anxiety makes it worse. I just for the first time this past weekend had a panic attack (went to the ER and was given a sedative and the whole bit). I was having a lot of nausea/regurgitation during the attack and as soon as the anxiety meds kicked in--gone. Maybe I'm on to something here. Anyone else experience this?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
(male)

Xhale12 HB UserXhale12 HB User

Its PVN bro. Nerve pain. I went through the same thing. Currently on Gabapentin and Elavil and the pain is 90% better.

Closed Thread