It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

like2quilt HB User
Unhappy Head is going to explode!

Over the years, I've been through the gauntlet of reflux meds and have even had the nissin wrap surgery (7 years ago). The surgery helped for about 3 years, but the effectiveness has worn off. By reading the posts here, I've self-diagnosed myself with LPR. I have all the classic symptoms--seldom have heartburn, but my head feels like it is going to explode. The burning in my throat, nose, ears...even my eyes sometimes! Worse at night. Hoarseness and unending mucus and post-nasal drip. Misery!!!

I had an endoscopy earlier this year and everything 'looked normal'. The gastro doc just wanted to put me on a new PPI--which had really nasty side-effects. When I asked for something different, he told me to handle it through my GP. The GP just keeps putting me on antibiotics for sinus infections! This always helps and life is wonderful for about a week, and then something triggers another episode and I just can't get through it without eventually going back on antibiotics.

Since PPI's aren't helping anymore, I just quite taking them, because I figured the benefit wasn't worth the side-effects. The head of my bed is elevated and I try to watch my diet, but as you all know, that's very difficult to do 100% of the time. It seems like one wrong food choice--like pizza--sets off another episode of burning that lasts for days and gets worse until I'm back at the GP with another 'sinus infection'.

I feel like I'm floundering, trying to handle this on my own. The GP, though very nice, doesn't really understand what's going on. The gastro doc doesn't want to deal with it. Should I see an ENT? I'm posting this to ask your advice on where to go or what to do to get out of this cycle of misery. THanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Head is going to explode!

I also found Nexium that I was prescribed didn't do much at all and side effects put me off. I have many symptoms as I have a Hiatal Hernia as well as AR/GERD.
Its not a good idea to keep taking Antibiotics. It was those that caused all my stomach issues, after taking them for H.Pylori.
If you are no longer on Antibiotics you should be taking Probiotics. Another thing caused sometimes through Antibiotic use is Candida which I got in my mouth. Look up Candida as some of your symptoms may relate to that. Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

ihate this HB User

like2quilt...
You def. need to see an e.n.t, i have been dealing with all these same problems any many more for 6 years. L.p.r is no joke, it caused me to have asthma because it was untreated as a child. Now i'm on a rollercoaster trying to keep my breathing under control which includes keeping the acid controlled, easier said than done as you know.
Anyhow i have been to a few gastro drs also had a scope done which was "normal" despite all my problems, so he just throws another p.p.i at me and tells me to try it.
I diagnosed myself by researching everything myself and about fell out when i was reading all the symptoms of l.p.r because i had everyone just about to the T.
My family dr. referred me to an e.n.t because i was having severe vertigo for months and chronic sinus infections. He is the one that diagnosed me with l.p.r..
I have been relieved knowing what i wrong after so many years but it has caused so much damage in my throat and vocal cords it's gonna take some time to heal.
Sadly the only thing they can do is put u on strong p.p.is and histamine blockers like zantac.
P.p.i's have never shown me any relief as well as diet changes haven't but i'm once again trying it again. I have been on nexium, dexilant, prevacid, prilosec, protonics, all kinds of things and no relief and bad side effects so i'm not taking anything extreme. My e.n.t has me on 40 mgs of prilosec and 150 zantac at night. It takes a long time before you see any relief if any at all. I have been on these to together for 2 weeks now and haven't seen much change, but i'm hopeful so i'm going to keep trying.
But def see an e.n.t and even mention you think it's l.p.r, alot of drs didn't know about this so i went all these years starting to believe i was crazy and it was all in my head like many drs tryed telling me. But it def. wasn't.
Good luck to you! i know it's misery.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Have you ever tried drugs other than PPIs? Reglan, domperidone, erythromycin and baclofen all have some potential to improve muscle action in the digestive system.

Also, have you ever been on steroid or antihistamine nasal sprays? Have you ever been tested for allergies? It's possible that sometime in the past few years, you've developed allergies!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
(female)

like2quilt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Have you ever tried drugs other than PPIs? Reglan, domperidone, erythromycin and baclofen all have some potential to improve muscle action in the digestive system.

Also, have you ever been on steroid or antihistamine nasal sprays? Have you ever been tested for allergies? It's possible that sometime in the past few years, you've developed allergies!
Intersting list of meds, but no I have not tried any of them.

I do have an allergy to mold/mildew and that complicates everything. I never know which is causing all of the head problems. I did go to my GP this morning because things went from bad to worse over the weekend. He is sending me to an ENT.

Thanks for your reply. I will ask about these meds.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

With gerd you kind of have to be your own advocate. The Dr doesnt know how your body feels when you are having a gerd attack. They are trained to identify symptoms. U have to tell them what your particular symptoms are.

You have to control your diet and what foods trigger gerd for you. AND DONT EAT THOSE FOODS. It is pretty much that simple. Try to cure your heartburnn with OTC meds first. I have been on Prilosec for 4 years. I have tried to get off it but I beleive your body must become dependent to some degree because when I try to wean off I develop such terrible rebound I am right back on them. I have managed to go from 1 every day to 1 every other day. But I cannot eat 1 wrong thin g or I pay the price. Listen to your body and good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
(female)

ihate this HB User

hey, i have had other threads on here about dealing with my l.p.r..i was just wondering if anybody has tryed aloe vera for l.p.r/gerd ? i have heard alot about it just haven't actually talked to anybody that has tryed it for l.p.r. My p.p.i's give me bad side effects and i don't see much relief from them or diet changes. EVERYTHING triggers my gerd.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I have taken Aloe Vera on and off for some yrs and have found it helpful as I have AR/GERD and a Hiatal Hernia.
You can buy one specifically for the Digestion, look for a brand that is stamped (Certified) on the label .
This means it has passed stringent tests and is the best quality. Solofelix.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
(female)

ihate this HB User

i can't touch pizza, spaghetti, or anything like that. I have been drinking soy milk instead of regular dairy milk and that has seemed to help some. I absolutely love chocolate but haven't touched a drop in months, i love fruit but alot of it makes me have acid really bad especially watermelon for some reason. Sometimes i wonder if my body doesn't produce enough acid as i have read that has alot to do with reflux and most drs just assume u have too much acid instead of too little. But i'm not sure if that could cause l.p.r? Mine has caused a great deal of problems with vocal cords and breathing.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
(female)

ihate this HB User

SOLOFELIX-
is the aloe vera pills? And can you purchase them at like walmart or cvs or something? Also how often do u take them and how much? Thanks for all the info..i'm looking for alternatives instead of p.p.i's they give me bad side effects.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, I dont know if you have Health-Shops where you live. These are shops which sell Vitamins And Health Foods.
Yes you can buy Aloe Vera in pill form. The one I buy is in a bottle (Liquid), I take 25 ml x 2 per day.
If you cant find it in a shop, you can buy it online, search (aloe pura juice).
Hope this helps, Solofelix.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
(female)

ihate this HB User

thanks! i am currently living in a small town and i dont think we have a store like that here. I was thinking cvs or walgreens drugstore because they both have a whole section of vitamins and what not. I have heard walmart sells the pill form i just wonder if the pill will actually be helpful to my l.p.r symptoms.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

No harm in giving it a try.
I have not heard or suffered any side effects from it.
Its just juice from the Aloe Vera plant. Its said to be good for a variety of conditions.
Look it up online and read about it.
Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
like2quilt (07-29-2011)
Closed Thread