It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
(male)

peterc2006 HB User
Advise from those who have confirmed LPR

Hi

I have had GERD for 5 years. I have drank spirits since last 18 years on daily basis, on moderate levels in the last 3-4 years. Coming to my problem..

It has been almost 6 weeks since the onset of throat irritation and pain that has been diagnosed by two ENTs as LPR. What started as a throat pain after a flu, got reduced to throat irritation, throat clearing, feeling of something inside throat, throat clearing, hoarse voice etc.

I have been on Nexium 40 mg initially, then 2 weeks later Nexium 40 mg twice a day. Since the treatment began, the throat clearing is less, do not feel the mucous in the throat and roughness of the voice is less. However the other symptoms are there.. I would be OK for couple of days, then the symptoms come back and last for 3-4 days..Overall it feels I have not made any progress. To make it worse, in the last 3-4 days I am feeling little pain occasionally in the throat, often the kind of pain that you get with throat infection. Sometimes there is pain the sides of the neck as well. Neck pain is not continuous. I do not know if the neck pain is from sleeping on pillows perched up to make wedge shaped bundle at night.

I have been very very tensed from the beginning if this could be cancer and the pain now makes me worried even more. Wherever the symptoms are mentioned, there is no mention of pain. Could this be cancer then? Or do those who have LPR get throat pain?

Also how long did it take to get some relief after taking PPIs? I am doing all suggested methods. Stopped completely the 18 year old habit of drinking alcohol. Stopped sleeping immediately after dinner. Am eating good healthy food. Avoiding all known acidic food. Sleeps with upper torso perched up wedge shaped bundle of pillows. Drinks antacids whenever I feel GERD kicking up. Despite all this and nearly 5 weeks since treatment began, I feel I have not reached anywhere...

This is also adding to my stress that I can't for a moment forget the fear I am having that the lack of improvement means it could be cancer...I do not know..it sounds so silly to others when I mention it..but believe it is making me sick...

So what is your experience with LPR? Did you have pain? Did it heal? How long before you started believing it could be cured?

Please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Advise from those who have confirmed LPR

Oh, yes, throat pain is perfectly normal with LPR.

It's good that you're on medication and you've started lifestyle changes. Still, the throat is delicate, and even after the reflux stops, it can take a while to heal. If after 2 months you see no improvement, though, definitely see what else the doctor can do.

Also, your level of anxiety probably isn't helping. All this reflux stuff can be majorly aggravated by stress.

When you prop yourself up at night, a bundle of pillows might not be the best way to do it. You want your back straight, you don't want to be bent over with just your heat and shoulders propped up.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
peterc2006 (07-11-2011)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
(male)

peterc2006 HB User
Re: Advise from those who have confirmed LPR

Thank you Jane.. That is reassuring to know.

Anyway went to my third ENT yesterday made him do a flexible laryngoscopy at my insistence. He found nothing that should cause alarm and I am feeling quite relieved. I have also reasoned that the gap between dinner and breakfast is a bit too much and have started an early morning snack. It made me better.

Finally, I hope to feel relaxed and hope it make the healing better...

Closed Thread