It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
(male)

Believe33 HB User
Nissen Fundoplication for burning & throat tightness

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Long-time lurker here! I have browsed the sites for quite some time, but I am just now joining officially. I am a 33 year old male, in pretty good shape @ 6'2 250lbs (I have always been big-boned and am a former body-builder). I have had random acid-reflux for about 7 years now, and I did not take anything until about 5 years ago. My doc prescribed Nexium to take when needed (obviously the wrong way to take it - I did not understand that at the time). I have been taking it for the two years or so consistently, with a temporary break to Protonix and Prilosec in between. Neither of those worked, and Nexium is now losing effect. Lately, the symptoms are pretty strong, with a constant burning in the esophagus area. I have had two EGD's done, along with one colonoscopy. The first EGD showed Barrett's, but the second did not. According to the 2nd doc, the first doc took samples way too close to the esophogeal junction, a common mistake that can show Barrett's. The colonoscopy showed swelling, and my doc said he would bet I had Crohn's, however the actual results show I do not (thankfully). The worst part of all of this is the burning in the esophagus, as well as the throat tightness (made worse while running). I had asthma as a child, and it felt like it was coming back, but all tests show otherwise, and I blow an 800+ on my peak flows. I saw a renowned ENT doc in Philly, and she stated that I am more sensitive to any airway tightness due to my previous experience with asthma. Sooo, here is a list of things I have had done:

1) Bravo PH - DeMeester scores of 24 and 36 over two days (I did stop Nexium 2 days prior so perhaps some of that is rebound?)

2) 2 separate PFT's - neither showed asthma, but I did have some reduced lung capacity (perhaps asthma never fully went away?)

3) As mentioned, 2 EGD's above - first had stricture that was dilated, 2nd showed positive for HPylori (have taken Pylera but have not had test to confirm eradication since that requires two weeks off of PPI's - are you kidding me?)

Anyway, I am probably talking in circles, and I apologize. I am just in pain from the recent flare-up. It is my own fault. I drank alcohol (about 8 beers a night) two days in a row last weekend. Sure enough, two days later, I am in PAIN. BTW, I did start 60MG Dexilant today and have been using Carafate Liquid again since Monday. I pray that Dexilant works. If not, my GI, who is absolutely great with his patience and expertise, recommends a Nissen Fundoplication. After reading stories on the net, I am very afraid of that surgery!

- Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Nissen Fundoplication for burning & throat tightness

Surgery is a serious step and should really only be considered after diet, lifestyle modifications and medication have all been tried for an extended period first.

I did end up having a Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication in 2008. For me it was necessary as the acid reflux was severely impacting my breathing. I did a lot of research prior to the surgery and found that the actual results often vary depending on what your reflux symptoms are. I can't remember reading about the burning. I do know there is a higher success rate for those of use who have breathing problems and throat irritation. In my case it is something like 85%. I think on average it is about 80% at one year.

One thing you should consider is that the surgery isn't a fix. It really is a help. The surgery helps your stomach act in place of your LES. It still leaves the possibility of acid coming up because it needs to be loose enough for food to go down.

In my case, I do have reflux symptoms still, but I'd say the surgery was very successful because my symptoms are much more manageable now.

Closed Thread