It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

boubou HB User
Random chest pains and GERD

46 year old woman 135 lbs 5 foot 4 inches, non smoker and moderate alccol intake. Very active, would say athlete, jog, cycle, weight lifting, p90x, kayak.
Had high cholesterol 3 years ago but got numbers down with diet and exercise. No history of hearth disease in family. Mother has diabetis type 2 but overweight and smokes and drinks too much.
I have been getting localised moderate chest pain about 2 inches just above the xyphoid process. It makes me uneasy, i fear it is heart related but my mind tells me it probably is of digetive nature. I have no other symptoms, never any pain when jogging or stressed, ot tired, not out of breath no other symptoms at all.
Can gerd or other disease cause chest pain? I am away on vacation, and have a doctor appointment in august, do i need to run to the hospital or is it more likely gerd? I also feel bloated and fear to eat
Thank you

Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Random chest pains and GERD

If you are jogging and cycling without pain or abnormal fatigue, I really doubt it's your heart.

It could be reflux. Here's an easy way to check: take some over the counter antacids, such as Tums or Mylanta. If the pain improves almost immediately, it's probably just heartburn.

For now, I'd say you can wait until the appointment. Obviously, if it gets worse, you may need to seek help sooner.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
boubou (09-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
(female)

boubou HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been taking tumbs. Hard to tell. If it helps cuz the pain last only a couple of minutes at the time. I can say tho that i am reluctant to eat so it probably is reflux.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

ihurtdaily HB User

Sounds like you should research sliding hiatal hernia self message. I did after similar symptoms and went from having to do the recommended technique 3-4 times daily to occasionally and/or as needed. My gastroenterologist confirmed my suspicions when I had both an upper & lower four weeks ago. I just love the Internet

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

The Following User Says Thank You to ihurtdaily For This Useful Post:
boubou (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

It's always a good idea to get these things checked out and as you are seeing your Dr in August I wouldnt worry too much.
AR/GERD can definitely cause chest pain and a lot of people do think its their heart when infact it is the latter.
As you also feel bloated it points even more to AR/GERD. One of the best OTC meds I have taken is GAVISCON for AR.
Also it may help you to cut back on some of the exercises, everything in moderation!..
I wish you well, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
boubou (09-15-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
(female)

boubou HB User

No exercise these days, on vacation and it's difficult following a routine. My diet had changed drastically the first few days, but watching what i eat not just in case it happens to be a digestive problem. Back to whole food and lots of veggies and fruits. I had ate quite a bit including some deep fried foods.
Besides that, it may also be muscular? I do a lot of pushups but didn't do any for a few days of travel and did them again. The pain appeared the next day.
I'll try not to worry too much, had some pains today but not as frequent or as bad.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

I can relate exactly. I recently started meds for COPD so i am going back to the DR to rule out heart issues. It is truly v ery frustrating and scary

Old 08-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

I feel like if its heart related you would be in big trouble by now.

I had chest pains too. It was localized and it was left of my sternum. GERD can definitely cause chest pains and I agree, get it checked out!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #9
(male)

allrighty HB User

Often times with exercise the individual may not realize they are air gulping. This is particularly true with runners or joggers especially during the summer heat. This process can lead to excess air in the gastro track with pain below the sternum. This is not confined to the mentioned sports. Bicycle riders, weight lifters, horseback riders, and many other things can produce GERD that produces chest pain by position or the muscles involved. If it relates to that usually desisting with the behavior reduces the symptoms.

Many insurance policies will allow you to obtain a cardio doc just as easily as a GP. Some carriers actually prefer it because it is preventative care. Most Cardio docs will do a few very affordable tests to allay your fears because they get athletes and everyday exercisers all the time. Plus youíre nearing the time for a stress test.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #10
(female)

boubou HB User

Thanks all! chest pains haven't returned since coming back from vacations. I strongly suspect it was gastric related to the change in diet, I was also constipated at the time which is unusual for me. Seeing doctor next week and will investigate.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

if you are as active as you say without chest pain it is probably. i am the same way and it took me 4 years to realise it was the gerd and not my heart. i am going to be scoped . for the first time next month. My heartburn is resolved but the other gerd symptoms seem to be worsening. It is a terrible disease

Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #12
(female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupCakeCat View Post
I feel like if its heart related you would be in big trouble by now.

I had chest pains too. It was localized and it was left of my sternum. GERD can definitely cause chest pains and I agree, get it checked out!
Did you find out what the pains where cause by?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
(female)

boubou HB User

I found that lately if I'm really hungry, the chest pains start. I eat and they go away. Also, the pains can come back a few minutes after a meal. Makes no sense to me. They come and go. Some last seconds, others 5 minutes.
Yesterday, I was jogging and I got hungry, I continued my workout after the jogging and the chest pains came. That worried me because that's the first time I felt pain when exercising. I then realized I was hungry.
The doctor is sending me for a stress test although she says it's unlikely heart related. She prescribed me Pantoprazole (pantoloc) in the meantime. Took my first pill this morning. When is the best time to take this medication?

Also, does chest pain from GERD or hiatal hernia come and go weather standing or laying eating or not? is it random?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
(male)

Jome HB UserJome HB UserJome HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
46 year old woman 135 lbs 5 foot 4 inches, non smoker and moderate alccol intake. Very active, would say athlete, jog, cycle, weight lifting, p90x, kayak.
Had high cholesterol 3 years ago but got numbers down with diet and exercise. No history of hearth disease in family. Mother has diabetis type 2 but overweight and smokes and drinks too much.
I have been getting localised moderate chest pain about 2 inches just above the xyphoid process. It makes me uneasy, i fear it is heart related but my mind tells me it probably is of digetive nature. I have no other symptoms, never any pain when jogging or stressed, ot tired, not out of breath no other symptoms at all.
Can gerd or other disease cause chest pain? I am away on vacation, and have a doctor appointment in august, do i need to run to the hospital or is it more likely gerd? I also feel bloated and fear to eat
Thank you
re you taking any Whey protein or all the other pills that are supposed to help build muscle and strength.

My son had similar problems but ended up with an ulcer (now cured). He has cut out all those products and is as strong as ever by eating properly (no excessive protein (no meat and very little fish occasionally).

Bloating is a sure indication that your diet is not correct. Without knowing what you eat and take I cannot give you any guidance but the correct diet will sort it out.
Regarding your heart I cannot comment but a check up can do no harm.

Regards

Jeffrey

Last edited by Jome; 09-19-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
(female)

boubou HB User

I went to the doctor and she is convinced it's not my heart but sending me for a stress test because my mother has had two strokes. In the meantime, she gave me Pantoprazole (pantoloc). This was 4 days ago. I seem to be getting better it's hard to tell yet, as I've had a break between chest pains before too. I was drinking diet coke and alcohol but I've cut this out as well. My diet is pretty good, lots of fruits and vegetables.
I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the stress test and be mindful of my diet and take the medication.

Closed Thread