It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

TLC01 HB User
Endo and colonoscopy the same day?

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled to have an endo and colonoscopy done the same day to find out the reason for upper abdomen pain/discomfort, if anyone cares to share their experience I would really appreciated.

Do they sedate you completely or just semi? did you feel very sick afterwards? did you take your Nexium or other med that day? I am in Canada if that makes a difference, I've heard that here a lot of doctors don't sedate people completely for these procedures not sure if is true or not but any experience of both procedures done the same day it would be great to hear.

Thanks!

T

Old 07-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Endo and colonoscopy the same day?

Hi, Ive had both done together and separately.
I had no trouble with the separate ones. I found with the two together that I felt nothing of the Endoscopy but felt quite a bit of discomfort with the Colonoscopy.Each time I have been well sedated to the point I knew nothing and remembered nothing. I felt with the two together in my case that enough sedation wasnt given as I was the last patient that day and the medical staff did not want me taking too long to come round, so they could get away.
Personally I would not have the two together again. In each case I have asked for maximum sedation. As for after effects I had NONE at all, and was able to continue as normal.
Hope this helps you make up your mind, Its your body and you don't have to have the two together. This is to save money I'm sure.
I wish you well, Solofelix. PS, I did not take Nexium on that day!!...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
(female)

TLC01 HB User

Thanks you so much for your reply and honest opinion, I'm so scared and just hope that the time goes fast during the test, I asked if it could be done separate and they just said that it is better to get them both done together so I don't have to be sedated twice, i have a pre op appointment and I will ask more questions then.

Thanks so much again!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
(female)

ihurtdaily HB User

Hi there! I just had both done about four weeks ago and due to an egg allergy they had to put me completely under. However, about 10 years ago when I had both done and did not know I was allergic to eggs they used a local so I was alert but couldn't feel anything. I actually got to watch them do the lower on a screen complete with my doctor's narration. I did feel queezy the first time probably because they'd given me eggs unbeknownst but the second one four weeks ago...I was just super hungry once the sedation wore off. Again, I had general so I was knocked totally out which took more time than a local would to thaw out from. I remember my husband driving me home and him talking to me but couldn't remember my responses later. And, yes I was able to take my Nexium that morning after confirming I could with my gastroenterologist.

As for your upper abdominal discomfort...that was my problem this time around, too. The first time was just due to chronic GURD and acid reflux. But, within the last six months I'd been having a lot of discomfort after eating especially between my ribs just beneath in that inverted V section of my upper abdomen. I did lots of research and basically determined I had developed a Sliding Hiatal Hernia. And, sure enough my doctor's findings confirmed it. There is a risky surgical procedure to eliminate it but I've read it should be avoided at all cost. And, was a little more than put off by some of the post surgical blogs I'd read by people who'd gone through with it. Instead, there is a manual manipulation you can do yourself when your having a flare of pressure or increased heartburn in that area.

Please research Manual Manipulation for Sliding Hiatal Hernia. At first, I did it between three and four times per day and now only when I feel that sort of pressure starting to build. And, try to avoid eating before bed I usually don't two hours prior to.

Here's another thing. I've also read a lot of bad stuff about long term use of Nexium. I've taken it daily for about 15 years and I've had multiple medical problems including chronic inflammation and fibromyalgia according to my rheumatologist. So, again after much research (I'm a huge internet researcher) I discovered that by taking Culturelle Probiotics each morning and a Full Spectrum Enzyme. I have virtually eliminated the need to take Nexium. I was absolutely shocked that this worked...and very skeptical besides. But, it did!!

I started out still taking Nexium every other day and the Probiotic's the mornings in between. Then, I gradually stopped the Nexium over about a two week period by weaning myself off it and over to the daily probiotic (Culturelle). I was taking Beano when I'd have a flare up after a meal but further research revealed they were only effective for fruits and vegetables. Hence the need for a Full Spectrum Enzyme. So, now I'm taking the Culturelle in the AM prior to breakfast (15 mins. before). Then, I take between 3-4 of the enzymes throughout the day with food. I typically take two in the AM because I'm a coffee drinker and found that it was probably my biggest culprit when it comes to setting the stage for all day heartburn. Then, one enzyme with lunch and another with dinner.

I also carry them in my purse in a snack size ziplock bag for eating on the go. Anyway...I know this is a pretty long response but I do hope some of this information will save you much time in terms of trying to figure this all out on your own. THANKS! And, I'll say a prayer for the outcome of your upper & lower.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website

Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

TLC01 HB User

Wow! different experiences for sure, thanks for sharing, I guess it all depends on having a good GI and his/her experience, i am going to a clinic it won't be in a hospital, all of the Drs are GI's so I'm sure they know what they are doing just hope they are gentle it makes huge difference I think.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
(female)

bigred4 HB Userbigred4 HB User

I was given a sedative called propophol and it was wonderful. I had both tests done the same day and woke up as alert as I went to sleep. No problems

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

TLC01 HB User

Thank you for replying, I've heard though that people get a very sore throat after the endoscopy, is that true? and if it is is there anything one can do to alleviate the pain after? another question, I've had two c-sections the last was almost 5 years ago, has anyone heard if there is a problem having a colonoscopy once you've had abdominal surgery? any experiences? opinions? thanks so much.

T

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

I had an endoscopy about two months ago and experienced no pain whatsoever. Either during or following the procedure. I also have had a C-section and had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago and had no problems with that either. Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I have had a C-Section and have had two Colonoscopys and had NO problem.
Ive also had three Endoscopys and had a very mild sore throat with just one of them.
Nothing to worry about at all.
Good Luck, Solofelix.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

I've had both done at the same time and never experienced any discomfort during or after the procedures. Try not to worry. I'm sure you'll do fine

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
(female)

TLC01 HB User

Thank you so much for all of your replies, to be honest I'm so scared, it will be Aug 17th so I have lots of time to worry and think about it
I'm concerned about the procedures but also the outcome what they will find, will it be something minor, major etc...

I have to just be positive and pray.

Thanks again!

The following user gives a hug of support to TLC01:
Baffled62 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

Stay positive. We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how it goes.

The following user gives a hug of support to Baffled62:
TLC01 (07-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffled62 For This Useful Post:
TLC01 (07-19-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
(female)

ihurtdaily HB User

Definitely stay positive!! I can't tell you how many gastrointestinal problems I've lived with for years, some pretty severe, and my upper & lower gi's came out fine. And, one set was done ten years ago with the other set more recently. All I can tell you is to get on a good probiotic every morning and to take a full spectrum enzyme with water prior to each meal. You'll be amazed at how much better things process internally and how much better you'll feel. I just started doing this about 5 weeks ago and went from one proton inhibitor pill every day (yeah the purple prescription one) to none...AMAZING! I'm also using a meal replacement mix from my local vitamin store that comes in pomegranate and some other fruit flavor combo or they have a chocolate one. You use one scoop per serving and it can be put into milk, soy milk, almond milk or your favorite juice although I'd probably not use the chocolate in juice.

Anyway, it has a days supply of all your veggies and some extra digestive enzymes besides. I mixed the chocolate in some vanilla soy milk mid-morning today with a handful of frozen blueberries and it was like a chocolate blueberry smoothie. You can drink these up to three times per day but I usually use them as a snack once a day between breakfast & lunch. You might want to try them especially if your not a big veggie and/or fruit eater. Also, if your having any constipation issues try either the Senna capsules or Senna Tea (Decaf) both are great and very gentle on your system. I'll keep you in my prayers that all will go well but I'm confident everything will. God Bless!

Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
(female)

ihurtdaily HB User

PS And, there shouldn't be any pain whatsoever with either procedure. At most you might feel as though your throat is a bit dry when you come to but some ice chips will take care of that. I was awake through the use of a local anesthetic ten years ago and this last set was done using general. The only difference was I was held a bit longer in recovery with the general and groggier longer trying to thaw out from its effects.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
(male)

Believe33 HB User

You will be fine, trust me. The worst part of everything is the prep for the colonscopy leading up to the test (lots of liquids, no food, and laxatives). Be positive in knowing that you will wake up and have an idea of what, if anything, is going on inside of you.

Closed Thread