It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

shonks5 HB User
EGD normal! Then why do i have pain?

I had my EGD done yesterday, and doctor said all looks normal. I just couldn't believe it. She said she did a biopsy to see if it could be H-pylori but she doubts it. I do have some reflux and I hurt a lot of the time just below the breastbone. If all is normal then why do i still have pain? What else could cause this?

Thanks for any replies,
Shonks 5

Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

lobolee HB Userlobolee HB Userlobolee HB User
Re: EGD normal! Then why do i have pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonks5 View Post
I had my EGD done yesterday, and doctor said all looks normal. I just couldn't believe it. She said she did a biopsy to see if it could be H-pylori but she doubts it. I do have some reflux and I hurt a lot of the time just below the breastbone. If all is normal then why do i still have pain? What else could cause this?

Thanks for any replies,
Shonks 5
Hi Shonks,

I do not know what EGD is. But pain in the area you describe could possibly be from hiatal hernia. Until mine was dx I felt pain and felt a bulge just below the sternum. Does it hurt all the time? Is the pain related to eating?

lobolee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

shonks5 HB User

The doctor took a camera and looked down at my esophagus, stomach and upper small intestine. Certain foods bother me when i eat them and sometimes my stomach near the breastbone burns. I do take a ppi, but am still having problems. I just can't understand it.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

lobolee HB Userlobolee HB Userlobolee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonks5 View Post
The doctor took a camera and looked down at my esophagus, stomach and upper small intestine. Certain foods bother me when i eat them and sometimes my stomach near the breastbone burns. I do take a ppi, but am still having problems. I just can't understand it.
OK, thanks for clarifying that for me. It is test I have had also but did not know the name for it. I have had many, many ulcers starting when I was a teenager. So pain it that area is common for me. I just try to figure out what food or drink may have brought on the burning. I know I'm not helping you much.... Wish I had an answer for you.

lobolee

Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The EGD shows is if you have damage from the acid reflux. You can have acid reflux without damage.

I've had 2 EGD's that were "normal" but in reality, I have extremely severe acid reflux.

Did your doctor talk to you about doing any pH testing? That test measures incidents of acid reflux over a 24-48 hour period.

Also, for some, Barium Swallow testing will also show refluxing. It is a good test to look at your digestive processes.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
(female)

shonks5 HB User

No, the doc didn't say anything about a PH test. How is it done? I do have reflux. But if no damage there, (she said it wasn't even red), why does it hurt? Hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question!

Thanks

Last edited by shonks5; 07-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Closed Thread