It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
(female)

tyler1234 HB User
any advice?

i am 2 weeks post op partial stomach wrap with a large hiatal hernia repair; i was doing excellent until past day or so; have been feeling organs moving around and now have tons of pain; was getting comfortable in bed and now can't get comfortable at all; feel like i want to push my organs down under my left boob; also have anxiety; have suffered since march with gi issues and really feel like i will die because of this; single disabled mom going under in every which way shape and form; could wrap have slipped?; what could now be wrong with organs?; nausea and fullness; will my suffering ever REALLY end or not as i am convinced?; suffered unbearably since march, have no quality of life anymore; can't do anything; no longer a real mom to my kid who now must do everything around house; no longer homeowner; am i really dying due to gi issues that will never quiet down?

The following user gives a hug of support to tyler1234:
MountainReader (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: any advice?

I had my surgery in October 2008. I had a full laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication during with a sliding hernia was also repaired. I was really surprised by how much my left side hurt post surgery. It was very uncomfortable. I had a horrible time with my core as well. Getting in and out of bed or going from prone to sitting or standing position was almost impossible for a while. When I had the stomach pain, it really helped me to curl up and hug a pillow tightly to my stomach. I even found some of those smaller microbead pillows that worked great that I used when I was around the house.

What is your diet like? Have you started on any solid foods yet? I was on liquids only for the first 2 weeks, then gradually added soft foods. I only solid meats and breads in at about the 3 month mark. What types of things have you been drinking? You need to make sure you are getting enough nutrition to help youself heal and keep up your strength.

I spoke to my doctor prior to surgery and received a prescription for anti-nausea medicine that I used as needed throughout my recovery. Zofran worked well for me.

Have you had your post-surgery evaulation yet? What did your surgeon say?

If you are really concerned, call the surgeon and discuss your concerns.

I was very paranoid post-surgery about pulling my stitches, especially when something happened. I had a barium swallow last fall and it shows that the surgery is holding just fine still.

I had severe acid reflux that really impacted my quality of life, ability to function and became life-threatening. I also eventually developed GI issues as well. While I have never been able to go off of the PPI's, I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat. It has been a literal lifesaver for me.

One thing my GI doc told me at an appointment about 1 month post-surgery is that it takes about 8 weeks for most of the swelling to go down in the stomach due to the trauma of the surgery. In his words, "your stomach is angry at you for what was done" and it will take a long time for it to calm down. It does eventually calm though.

Let me know if you have any further questions. In the meantime, try to look at your goal for once you heal. It helped me on the days I was down knowing that the end results would be worth it.

How old is your child? Are there any support resources you have who could help you even for a few hours?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
(female)

tyler1234 HB User
Re: any advice?

thx. for sharing your story; it really does help to hear from others who have been thru this literally gut wrenching and life changing surgery; thx. for tip about using pillows; my diet now is puddings, jellos, squash, potatoes, shakes, drinks, ice cream and ensure shakes; went to surgeon yesterday; he thinks for now i am fine with some inflammation and gave me more motrin, narcotics and xanax for muscle spasms and anxiety; he said it was way too early to run any tests to c if i have any of the complications that i read about; i am a slow healer and have been doing way too much and yes, u do pay the price for that but i am a single mom and we only get a limited amount of time for summer here in new york; i did try 2 scrambled eggs the other day; some went down and some got stuck and i paniced, drank juice and eventually they went down; hate that feeling so am backing off solids for now and working on decreasing pain, drinking enough and pooping if u know what i mean; my surgeon said that i shouldn't b needing anti nausea pills over the long haul; have had 2 post op appts., next is at 5 weeks; my son is 13 and has been at a daycamp this week and last which has definitely helped in my ability to rest and next week he is taking some morning fun college for kids courses and he is my little knight in shining armour as far as being my one go to person for chores around the house; he has been doing it all; groceries, laundry, painting, garbage, anything i ask so i am truly blessed; i also have a neighbor who has helped out; today, i drove a friend home from having an endoscopy and low and behold she has erosions and yes a small hiatal hernia; i hope she can manage it with diet changes and meds.; i don't regret my surgery but it definitely has had its very rough and impossible moments; my symptoms too were out of control with classic large hiatal hernia symptoms, worst heartburn and nausea and stomach pains of my life with some chest pain thrown in so i believe i made the right choice, just hate this post op stuff not knowing what might happen next and yes the internet has some scary stories; thank u so much for sharing; i will keep u posted on my recovery and hope we both have gi health!

The following user gives a hug of support to tyler1234:
MountainReader (07-21-2011)
Closed Thread