It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
(male)

alphaz HB User
Weight loss and GERD?

Hello all. I've had suspicions for quite some time that I had acid reflux. Recently i had acid in the throat so bad that the dr told me to take prevacid for a month and then if symptoms persisted after that he would schedule me for an endoscopy. Anyhow, the prevacid has been working wonders, since the first pill. I have been watching my diet better too, trying not to overeat, and cutting back on my soda intake. My question is about weight loss. I am 5'10 29 year old male. At the end of winter I was weighing between 195-198 pounds depending on the day. Obviously the summer and sweating more contributed some to my weight loss, but I am now down to 185. Coca cola was one of my biggest vices. Would you think that my weight loss is mainly due to dietary changes? I'm not having any complications, heartburn, pain etc while on the prevacid. Input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Weight loss and GERD?

So you've lost about 10 pounds over the last several months? Yes, it probably is due mainly to your dietary changes. Regular Coke has a LOT of calories.

If the weight loss continues and you start to verge on TOO skinny, then worry. But I think your weight will stabilize at a healthy point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
(male)

alphaz HB User

Thanks for the reply. I was losing weight before the dietary changes, mainly I think from the summer heat and being active. Since the heat has been routinely at or near triple digits, I have been much less active. The extreme heat has pretty much coincided with my dietary change, so since I've been eating better I haven't been nearly as active. I still have a belly, so I'm not skinny, but never was I grossly obese either. I guess the weight loss is just a shock to me because I've never really tried to manage my diet before, so the weight is actually coming off faster than it was when I was working out but eating dirty. Maybe in terms of weight and overall health, acid reflux was a good thing for me, because it prompted some much needed changes?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
(male)

mrvincent1959 HB Usermrvincent1959 HB User

I was 210 lbs before my GERD started and three months later I was 180. My blood pressure went from 140 to 115.

Diet change was the biggest factor. I could excercise til I was blue in the face and could never lose weight.

GERD saved my life!

j/k about that, but at least one good thing came out of this.

Closed Thread