It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

hhk HB User
Can PPI's cause Kidney Stones? (Prilosec)

I started a prescription of prilosec in April, and was rushed to the ER last Thursday because of a kidney stone. I have 2 I am told. I just find it odd that I now have stones. To be fair though the last month has been crazy hell for me. Moving, taking care of my mother, trying to move out of my apartment in a small time frame, by myself. No vehicle so I had to rush back and forth from old, new, and moms apartments constantly. Didnt take good care of myself.. drank far too much soda, lots of heat. SO, perhaps its not the prilo but I still wonder.

I stopped the prilo Friday, but had a big flare up last night, so I started again. Woke up ok.. but I am flaring up as I write this. Will the prilo never work again for me because I stopped them? Do you think they are the cause of the stones?

Last edited by hhk; 07-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Can PPI's cause Kidney Stones? (Prilosec)

No PPI works instantly. When I was prescribed Nexium I was told it should be taken for 4-6 wks before seeing positive results.
Some people find they work quicker and others need them for longer. Just because you left them off for awhile dosent mean they wont work. Stick with them and take Gaviscon as an extra when needed.
I have not heard of them causing Stones before. Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can PPI's cause Kidney Stones? (Prilosec)

I've never heard of Prilosec causing kidney stones, but it is excreted through the kidneys. (All drugs are either metabolized in the liver, excreted through the kidneys, or both.)

It's normal to flare up when stopping the drug suddenly, and after you take it again, it might take a couple days to stop working.

If you want to quit Prilosec, there are various "protocols" people have tried, to prevent that painful flare up. You can try taking it every other day for a while, or using Zantac instead.

Closed Thread