It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

noni2 HB Usernoni2 HB User
maybe my story willl help someone

Hi I am female and 58, I will try to be short. 3 years ago I started to feel like I would have to cough and clear my throat and a bit of feeling I needed to take deep breaths. Then in jan.09 got a really bad virus cough cold, and from then on things got alot worse. Had chest exrays, pulomary function test, which came out fine, never the less Dr. thought I had mild asthma. Which I really questoned. Was on advair for a year. Meanwhile I came across something called vcd, (vocal cord dystfunction), from all my syptoms I believed that was my problem,finally went to ent Oct. 09, he said my vocal cords were very red and inflamed.(amazing how we no our own bodies) new my vocal cords were effected.Had coughing, hoarseness, breathing problems. Put me on nexium for possible acid reflux and nexium for sinus. Went back after 8 weeks, and he said vocal cords look better but still somewhat red and inflamed, at least felt we were getting somewhere. Contiuned on with nexium(still on it), and after about 6 more months really felt like things alot better that would be March 2010. Went back to ent Oct. 2010 and once again looked at vocal cords and he said looked pretty good but not quite as pink as they should be, anyway I am so much better, but do feel like I may always have this problem to some degree. I will say the one thing that definently helps when it does become more troublesome is taking xanax, I believe it relaxes muscles whatever in the throat and vocal cords I can really tell it helps. The term vcd means when vocal cords are not working right and not letting air in or out like they should be, there are many causes, and much info on the internet. Hope this info might help someone, also maybe someone has something that may help me even more. Sorry this is so long. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Re: maybe my story willl help someone

I have a feeling I have this.

I am thinking about going to see Dr. Jamie Koufman in New York is an expert on this.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

vcd can have many causes from acid reflux to stress to different chemical smells, etc. The fact that my vocal cords were actually red and inflamed led me to believe it was the acid reflux (even though did not have much heartburn to speak of). But I do know slowly got better after being on the nexium. Also had a sinus scan to rule out a sinus problem being the reason. Had to insist on it, wasn't my dr. idea. You really have to speak up. Let me know how the appt. goes.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

Noni2, if you don't mind my asking, what is involved with a sinus scan and what were you hoping to find out by it?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

It is just a scan it doesn't hurt at all you just lie there, takes maybe 15 minutes or less. I wanted to rule out any kind of sinus infection that could be contributing to my vocal cords being inflamed. My sister had had some problems although different from mine and they finally did a sinus scan, and she said in her words her sinuses were a mess, she was put on antibiotics for I think 21 days at least.So sometimes you just don't know, things are not always so easy to figure out even for the Dr.

The Following User Says Thank You to noni2 For This Useful Post:
Baffled62 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
(female)

Baffled62 HB User

Don't I know that! Thanks.

Closed Thread