It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
(male)

DamnAntibiotics HB User
Antibiotics and Gerd...Solution?

I had an infection which led to an antibiotic which I probably didn't need since the infection seemed to be going away already. The antibiotic messed up my system badly. I'm on a soft diet because I'm having trouble swallowing from the reflux. Went to the doctor's and he prescribed a PPI, went to the GI and he scheduled an Endoscopy.

Here are my questions:

1) I know %100 that the antibiotic caused my stomach issues. Why do I need an Endoscopy? The GI didn't even seem to care about my diet, he just seems to want to stick a camera down my throat and get paid.

2) Why did no one tell me about probiotics after taking antibiotics?? It seems like it should be on the directions.

3) The PPI's aren't solving the problem, just the symptoms. Is there a way to kill the bad bacteria? I almost want to take another antibiotic so I can kill everything in there and then load up on probiotics.

4) I feel like no one will listen. Is there anyone else I should go to? A nutritionist?

I've done a ton of research and just want to figure out whats going on in my system and clean it out. I'm really frustrated with everything. Especially since I've been extremely healthy most of my life. No smoking, very little drinking, lots of exercise. I have a baby and feel like I can't hold her because I have no energy. Please help or give any advice. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Antibiotics and Gerd...Solution?

Hi, An Endoscopy is the correct procedure. I have had three and they are no trouble.
During an Endoscopy a Biopsy is done at the same time. One of the prime problems with AR can be H.Pylori and if this isn't treated can lead to Ulcers. I know because this very same thing happened to me and mine bled.
I was getting Reflux and other symptoms. Antibiotics do upset the Stomach and the Biopsy will show whether you have H.Pylori or whatever else may be causing your Reflux. I also have a Hiatal Hernia which causes flare ups of my AR/GERD so that could be a possibility. All the Best, Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

Baffled62 HB User
Re: Antibiotics and Gerd...Solution?

I think we are pretty much left to our own devices in dealing with the many facets of this/these disease(s). Doctors don't really tell you anything except the drugs and maybe diet. Much of what I do I have learned through this board and my own diligent research. My ENT has pretty much "dismissed" me as there is nothing else they can do about the lump in my throat and my difficulty swallowing. "Take medicine for the rest of your life." She recommended that I go back to my PCP and talk to him about "anxiety". I just ordered some probiotics today as I have learned that they might be beneficial for my digestive disorders. At any rate, I figure they can't hurt anything. I take a B-12 Ultra supplement every day as I heard that this could help. I also take a magnesium/calcium/potassium supplement daily because I take Nexium as Nexium prohibits or limits the body's absorption of calcium. The only good thing about this "condition" for me anyway is that I do not have heartburn or acid indigestion associated with it. Had I not had the swallowing difficulties, I never would have known I even had it.

Good luck with your treatments. I hope everything works out well for you.

Closed Thread