It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
(female)

bree1387 HB User
Question Acid Reflux Questions

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux when symptoms showed up suddenly 6 weeks ago. I had all the classic ulcer symptoms and went for an Upper GI which showed no ulcer, just reflux. I have been researching this condition until I go cross-eyed from staring at the computer screen and I've still got a few questions.

For my whole life (I'm only 26), I don't remember ever having heartburn. I know sometimes after a big meal, especially if I laid down too soon after, I could feel food coming back up, but never any pain. Then 6 weeks ago, out of the blue, I had severe reflux show up. The acid was burning all the way up to my throat and I could taste it. My throat was so sore I thought I was getting a cold and my voice went hoarse. Not even antacids helped. It was all day long for multiple days before I saw the doctor and he put me on Protonix, which helped. Is it normal for severe reflux symptoms to just show up like that with no previous problems?

Also, I know coffee is a common trigger and I've been bad a few times since this started and had a cup every few days. I didn't have a problem until yesterday. Can foods that commonly cause acid-related issues only cause problems some of the time? I thought that bad foods like coffee and spicy stuff would cause problems every time.

Is a total loss of appetite normal? My appetite went when the reflux started and hasn't come back. Even when my stomach is empty, it doesn't growl. The only time it makes noise is when I'm having an episode of nausea and burning, at which point it gurgles. My doc is looking in to a gallbladder problem but I'm doubtful the ultrasound will show anything. He keeps saying gastritis is likely. My stomach always feels full.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Acid Reflux Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bree1387 View Post
Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux when symptoms showed up suddenly 6 weeks ago. I had all the classic ulcer symptoms and went for an Upper GI which showed no ulcer, just reflux. I have been researching this condition until I go cross-eyed from staring at the computer screen and I've still got a few questions.

For my whole life (I'm only 26), I don't remember ever having heartburn. I know sometimes after a big meal, especially if I laid down too soon after, I could feel food coming back up, but never any pain. Then 6 weeks ago, out of the blue, I had severe reflux show up. The acid was burning all the way up to my throat and I could taste it. My throat was so sore I thought I was getting a cold and my voice went hoarse. Not even antacids helped. It was all day long for multiple days before I saw the doctor and he put me on Protonix, which helped. Is it normal for severe reflux symptoms to just show up like that with no previous problems?

Also, I know coffee is a common trigger and I've been bad a few times since this started and had a cup every few days. I didn't have a problem until yesterday. Can foods that commonly cause acid-related issues only cause problems some of the time? I thought that bad foods like coffee and spicy stuff would cause problems every time.

Is a total loss of appetite normal? My appetite went when the reflux started and hasn't come back. Even when my stomach is empty, it doesn't growl. The only time it makes noise is when I'm having an episode of nausea and burning, at which point it gurgles. My doc is looking in to a gallbladder problem but I'm doubtful the ultrasound will show anything. He keeps saying gastritis is likely. My stomach always feels full.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
I have acid reflux and what helps keep it under control in addition to the Prilosec is: L-glutamine powder, acid ease, digestive enzymes, and acidophillus.I put the head of my bed on bed risers. Don't lie down for 2-3 hours after eating,don't eat after 8 pm, keep away from spicy,gassy,acidic,carbonated drinks,caffeine, greasy fried foods. If you have any other digestive problems like IBS or constipation problems it's a good idea to add Citrucel or Metamucil to your daily supplements.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, Have you been tested for H.Pylori.
I had the very same symptoms before I was Diagnosed with that.
Generally a blood test first followed by an Endoscopy/Biopsy will reveal if you have H.Pylori. Solofelix.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

bree1387 HB User

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll print off that acid-alkaline list and try experimenting with different foods. Good thing I already like kale! I'll look for the L-glutamine. I've read that other people have had success with it too.

I haven't been tested for H. pylori. The doctor wanted to do a breath test but said the Protonix I was already started on would interfere with the results. He did recommend the antibiotic treatment but I refused to take it without proof I needed it. The side effects sound nasty and it seems a lot of people don't have success with it. I will probably need an endoscopy. Unfortunately in Canada the wait list is really long. Might need to take a road trip to Montana.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Bree:

You mention having a lot of nausea, never feeling full, etc. It's possible that the food is moving too slowly through your digestive system, in which case high-fiber things like kale won't help any.

There are a thousand different versions of the reflux diet, although they all suggest avoiding coffee and high fat foods. (Yes, it is possible for a trigger food to be ok sometimes and bad other times.) Some people find that milk is a disaster, I find that it is the perfect soother. Some can't deal with sugar, I find it's fine. Some people do well with high-fiber foods, I find they make my pain worse.

See what works for you. Experiment with different meals, keep a diary and look for patterns. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

bree1387 HB User

Thanks for the info, guys. I have one more diet-related question. Is it possible for the reaction from a trigger food to be delayed? I have been tracking what I eat and when I feel sick for 3 weeks now and it seems the foods that are likely making me sick don't do it for up to 12 hours after. For example, I had chicken primavera for dinner one night (I ate too much, went to bed full) and didn't get the pain/nausea until 12 hours later.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I suffer with Ar/Gerd and was told not to eat anything three hours before going to bed.
I have stuck with this and proved it a great help.
Also I dont drink three hours before bed except water.
If you go to bed full, the food will lay like led and you will feel sick. Solofelix.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
(female)

Dianeintex HB User

Just a warning to those of you who have heartburn, acid reflux, GERD issues, trouble swallowing food, food stuck in throat, etc. PLEASE make an appointment to have an Enoscopy done, it saved my life.

I am a young female. I had been having heartburn, bowel problems, chest pain, tiredness, just not feeling well. My doctor was sending me in for many different tests. Ultrasounds of my pancreas, my gallbladder, liver, stomach, heart, etc. Everything came back negative. In October 2010 she sent me in for an Endoscopy. At that time I was diagnosed with stage III Esophogeal Cancer.

I did not fit into normal "risk factors" so my doctor did not send me straight away for the Endoscopy. Usually by the time it is diagnosed it is too late. Even if your health care provider does not think you are at risk, INSIST on having the test done. Heartburn does cause cancer.

Today I am 100% cancer free after chemo/radiation and surgery but I am one of the lucky ones. I am not telling you this to scare you - I am telling you this to perhaps save a life. It has been a hard year and I wish someone had warned me a lot earlier.

Do not ever think, "It wont happen to me", It is better to be safe than sorry.

-Best regards,

-Diane.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dianeintex:
solofelix (08-28-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeintex View Post
Just a warning to those of you who have heartburn, acid reflux, GERD issues, trouble swallowing food, food stuck in throat, etc. PLEASE make an appointment to have an Enoscopy done, it saved my life.

I am a young female. I had been having heartburn, bowel problems, chest pain, tiredness, just not feeling well. My doctor was sending me in for many different tests. Ultrasounds of my pancreas, my gallbladder, liver, stomach, heart, etc. Everything came back negative. In October 2010 she sent me in for an Endoscopy. At that time I was diagnosed with stage III Esophogeal Cancer.

I did not fit into normal "risk factors" so my doctor did not send me straight away for the Endoscopy. Usually by the time it is diagnosed it is too late. Even if your health care provider does not think you are at risk, INSIST on having the test done. Heartburn does cause cancer.

Today I am 100% cancer free after chemo/radiation and surgery but I am one of the lucky ones. I am not telling you this to scare you - I am telling you this to perhaps save a life. It has been a hard year and I wish someone had warned me a lot earlier.

Do not ever think, "It wont happen to me", It is better to be safe than sorry.

-Best regards,

-Diane.

You are so right!!..
I wish you all the best with your health in the future.
I have had three Endoscopys and will possibly have another one shortly.
I have all the symptoms you mention and will take advantage of every test available to me.
What price peace of mind!!..
Anyone reading this, if you feel uncertain about your health insist on every available treatment. Solofelix.

Closed Thread