It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(male)

Tribulation HB User
Can Acid reflux cause these symptoms?

I've had chronic acid reflux for a few years, ever since my gallbladder was removed. It was only within the last year probably that it started to get really bad. I've been trying different pills for it with no luck, though I don't think my doctor really knows what he's talking about. I'm going to go see someone else when I can but in the meantime I wondered if anyone here knew it these symptoms could be caused by acid reflux or not:

- Excessive yawning/inhaling deeply to catch a good breath
- Heart skipping beats
- High blood pressure

I also have a lot of liquid in my throat most of the day, as well as some food. When that gets too bad I feel lethargic and weak, and also lose any desire to eat. In the last couple of days I've found that ice cream really sets all those off. When I feel really crummy I lay down for a bit and it seems to help, though once I sit back up or start walking again, I start to feel crummy once more.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can Acid reflux cause these symptoms?

Reflux can cause palpitations and shortness of breath, especially if the acid hits the vagus nerve. I haven't heard of high blood pressure being a reflux symptom, but sometimes high blood pressure improves when another medical problem resolves.

I agree with the suggestion to avoid ice cream and other high-fat foods, especially with your history. After gallbladder surgery, some people are never able to comfortably digest large amounts of fat, because the liver can't deliver as much bile at one time.

Try cutting back on fat in your diet, and especially try to avoid eating a large portion of fat in a single meal. See if that improves the reflux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
(male)

Tribulation HB User

What exactly is the Vagus nerve? Aside from shortness of breath can it also make the throat feel weird? Sometimes, at the base of my throat, I get feelings I can't describe. I don't know if I'd call it tightness, it's just not normal. It's not constant and it usually accompanies my other symptoms. At this point I'm not sure if it's a result of the reflux or anxiety. I get anxious a lot now, especially when the shortness of breath occurs. The feeling seems worse when I lay down, which is why I'm still up at 4:30 in the morning, it's just bothering me too much. It recently started up again (along with the foot and liquid collecting in my throat) after I took an anti-acid pill and ate a slice of cheese.

Of course, when I think of it, I wonder if my throat has narrowed because of three years of constant acid reflux. I also burp a lot sometimes, and at times my burps even get caught in my throat (I never would have thought that possible) and it really hurts when that happens.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The sore throat is usually caused by acid hitting the throat. Antacids are good at preventing heartburn, not as good at preventing the sore throat of reflux, because the throat membranes are sensitive even to diluted acid.

Have you elevated the head of your bed?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
(male)

Tribulation HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
The sore throat is usually caused by acid hitting the throat. Antacids are good at preventing heartburn, not as good at preventing the sore throat of reflux, because the throat membranes are sensitive even to diluted acid.

Have you elevated the head of your bed?
My throat isn't really sore, it just feels strange at the base now and then. Probably food and reflux. Yesterday I was told by my doctor's nurse that they are going to set up an appointment for me to get an endoscopy (still not sure when yet, they haven't called back) so hopefully I'll get some answers then.

Haven't elevated my bed, don't have anything to do it with.

Closed Thread