It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User
Esophogeal Stricture

I tried to get some information on another thread, but have had no luck so far. I figure must have been way too specific, so I'm going to try again.

Has anyone here had esophogeal stricture? What caused it? How did you find out you had it? Since my doctors think I might have it and that it could pose a danger next time I have general anesthesia, I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Esophogeal Stricture

Scar tissue builds up in the esophagus. Mine was caused due to GERD (acid reflux). I've never heard of it causing problems with general anesthesia. Sorry I can't provide any more info but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

Blessings

The Following User Says Thank You to annie42 For This Useful Post:
bracer (07-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

adeline726 HB User

My daughter had a stricture, and the Doctor stretched it out when he did a scope. She was having a problem when she swallowed her food, she felt like it was getting stuck. He also put her on meds for acid reflux. So far so good.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

bracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB Userbracer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie42 View Post
Scar tissue builds up in the esophagus. Mine was caused due to GERD (acid reflux). I've never heard of it causing problems with general anesthesia. Sorry I can't provide any more info but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply.

Blessings
Thanks for answering. It's strange to me, too, but the doctors thought there was something to it with some connection between it and my aspiration pneumonia. Now I'm being sent for a barium swallow. What is it that they might find?

Thanks again!

Jeff

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeline726 View Post
My daughter had a stricture, and the Doctor stretched it out when he did a scope. She was having a problem when she swallowed her food, she felt like it was getting stuck. He also put her on meds for acid reflux. So far so good.
Now that makes perfect sense. I'm glad your daughter is having success with treatment. Did the doctor seem to think that the stricture was congenital or was it caused by something? I'm just trying to figure out how I ended up with the condition and if I've had it for almost fifty years, why the problem shows itself now and not ten or twenty or thirty years ago.

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 07-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

adeline726 HB User

My daughter is 29 and when she was born her Esophogas was not connected to her stomach, so they did do surgery, and they told us that maybe when she was older she may need to get it stretched. She has not had any problems with it untill just a few months ago when she started feeling like her food was getting stuck and not going down, he suggested doing a scope to check it out and if there was a narrowing he could stretch it. Hopefully this will do it, if not she may have to have it done again. It seems that the meds for the reflux has helped too. Addie

Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
Thanks for answering. It's strange to me, too, but the doctors thought there was something to it with some connection between it and my aspiration pneumonia. Now I'm being sent for a barium swallow. What is it that they might find?

Thanks again!

Jeff
To the best of my knowledge, they can find ulcers, polyps, hernia, tumors etc. Usually polyps are benign in the esophagus. They can be precancerous though. I have polyps there. When I had my scope, my doctor biopsied everything he saw out the norm. I have a hiatal hernia and had several gastric/peptic ulcers yet the only symptom I ever had was nausea. Now that my ulcers are healed, I have GERD! Go figure!

Blessings

The Following User Says Thank You to annie42 For This Useful Post:
bracer (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie42 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, they can find ulcers, polyps, hernia, tumors etc. Usually polyps are benign in the esophagus. They can be precancerous though. I have polyps there. When I had my scope, my doctor biopsied everything he saw out the norm. I have a hiatal hernia and had several gastric/peptic ulcers yet the only symptom I ever had was nausea. Now that my ulcers are healed, I have GERD! Go figure!

Blessings
Thanks! Your post provides plenty of incentive for me to go ahead and have the barium swallow. Even if it comes back negative, it'll provide some peace of mind and be one last thing I have to worry about should I need surgery again.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
Thanks! Your post provides plenty of incentive for me to go ahead and have the barium swallow. Even if it comes back negative, it'll provide some peace of mind and be one last thing I have to worry about should I need surgery again.
Will say a prayer for you and hopefully all will go well. Please let us know how you're doing.

Blessings

Closed Thread