It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
(male)

wisper HB User
Low Ferritin ?

ok so last September I was operated for nissen fundoplication. It was an open elective thoracic fundoplication and not a laparascopic one. I did 5 days in intensive care and several days in hospital after the operation not cause of complications but due to the large incision at the back.

Well I dont have any sort of reflux and I can eat what I want now so am happy with this and my heamoglobin returned back to normal as before the operation was very low sometimes at 6.

Only problem residing is Low Ferritin and this became low from the surgery. Almost a year passed and my ferritin is still low, am getting overweight and as well I feel a lot tired......

My doctor wants to check my intestines by means of a barium enema...

Did already a CT scan and nothing resulted.

What can this be ?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Low Ferritin ?

I found out I have anemia about 1 1/2 years post my laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication. I consider that it has been a very successful experience for me.

I'm not sure if there was an actual connection between the two or not. I do wonder if the PPI's I'm still on have had an impact as well.

When my anemia was first diagnosed, I had an endoscopy and Barium Swallow. They couldn't find anything that pointed to a cause for the anemia. I've been on iron supplements and B12 shots. They have worked to get my anemia under control. I'm still monitored, but because the supplement is working they aren't too worried at this point.

Not sure that this helps, but know you aren't alone.

Take care,
MountainReader

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

Hi MoutainReader,
I know this is an old post but wanted to know what iron supplement you are taking. I don't want to take one that causes heartburn or constipation if possible . I have low ferritin. My doctor has told me it would be a good idea to take a supplement.
Thanks!

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User

Ferritin is the protein that carries and stores iron in the body. Low ferritin often means low iron.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi 4dad,

Your doctor really should have recommended what type of supplement to take. My GI doc recommended Ferrous Sulfate to me. I have reflux and IBS and didn't have any negative side effects when I was on it. I talked to my trusted Pharmacist for recommendations on a good brand.

I wish you well in your treatment.

MountainReader

Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
Hi 4dad,

Your doctor really should have recommended what type of supplement to take. My GI doc recommended Ferrous Sulfate to me. I have reflux and IBS and didn't have any negative side effects when I was on it. I talked to my trusted Pharmacist for recommendations on a good brand.

I wish you well in your treatment.

MountainReader
Thank you. My regular doctor recommended SloFe but I don't think they thought about the heartburn. I will have to call my GI doctor to see what ideas they have. Ferrous Sulfate is the most common type but I know there are others. Thanks for your help!

Closed Thread