It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

JannaJ99 HB User
Question AR question

I take Nexium 40mg twice daily for AR/GERD. This keeps the daily "heartburn" away, thank goodness! However, I still have nocturnal reflux. A number of occassions I have gotten up with a very "raw" throat, and hoarsness, that last a couple of days. Other times I get wakened in the night with acid coming into my throat, or a cough and lump in my throat. I have had a barrium swallow, an upper GI, even had the Brava capsule placed. Nothing remarkable showed up!!! Is Nexium not the drug for me? I don't eat late at night either.

The following user gives a hug of support to JannaJ99:
cupCakeCat (07-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User
Re: AR question

Jenna, I was just going to start a post because I am having sore throat in the morning. Just couple of days ago I started having a constant sore throat (rebound from nexium, since I stopped cold turkey).

I'm drinking honey and lemon to soothe the sore throat, which also feels dry and my mouth has a taste.

Jenna, have you tried what everyone has suggested? Raise your bed, eat less amount and more often?

I'm away from home so I can't even get those tests. But I assume/hope that yours turned out normal? Try to take your nexium before you go to bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
(female)

JannaJ99 HB User

Thanks, I have tried everything! It's really frustrating. I take the nexium in the morning and again at supper time. I don't eat for several hours before going to bed. I think I'm going to have ask if a different drug would be better. All my test have come out ok, which makes me think I am crazy sometimes. I wonder if anyone has ever heard of non-dairy creamer making this worse?? It seems to be the one thing that makes me burp and feel the "lump" in my throat. I have cut way back on the creamer.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

If you're drinking coffee I'd cut that down too. I don't drink coffee, tea (which sucks because I love green tea) or milk. I am just drinking nut milk/coconut milk now. Soymilk is okay, I drink it every now and then, it's just super processed.

What kind of tests have you done? I am sick of (no pun intended) being away from home but my GP has brushed me off thinking I'm crazy. Earlier I have had pains/fluttering in my chest/stomach. It was just recently that my throat started getting irritated. Knowing GERD has come all the way up your throat is scary.

It's definitely not in your head, and that's why we are all here to discuss and learn from each other. You should try another medicine if nexium isn't working, and keep us updated.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

JannaJ99 HB User

well, I don't "know" what the fluttering is, but I would wander if it was a hiatal hernia, which is a tear in your diaphragm. This can make GERD worse! Sorry your doc has blown you off, I too have had that happen and it sucks. I know that I have the GERD issues, but I do believe something else is going on in my neck area. They have told me that I have a goiter (thyroid), but that my thyroid functions are ok?? I also have this strange edema in my subclavicle spaces on both sides, but not everyday!! One doc even told me it was 'fat'. I never knew 'fat' comes and goes day to day!!
The goiter is some better, because my GP agreed to put me on thyroid replacement meds. Thanks for listening and talking with me. Sorry that you too are having troubles.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

Janna,

I'm sorry to hear about your other problems... All I know is that if you have goiter you should increase Iodine in your diet? Maybe try a multi-vitamin too, because GERD can cause malnutrition... in that your digestion isn't as good as it should be and nutrients aren't absorbed.

I went to the ER because I had some unexplained pains. He suggested it was an ulcer. At that time it was a "good enough" answer for me since my GP said "your stomach is just producing too much acid". Barium swallow just showed gas reflux but nothing in the stomach (whew) - not even a hernia as I thought.

Oh, and also, GERD can cause throat problems, maybe even neck, though I haven't experienced it. Are you swallowing okay?

Last edited by cupCakeCat; 08-01-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Closed Thread