It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
(female)

dagmar68 HB User
Dexilant and Nexium

after my H pylori treatment my doctor told me to continue takin the nexium 40 mg for a while so i did ...i had to go see the gastro doc. about 10 days after i was done with my antibiotics to schedule an appointment for an edoscopy i told the doctor that i was still having symptoms like burning in my chest and no appetite and also back(shoulder pain at times ...so he gave me free pills for 3 weeks and said take one in the morning but continue the Nexium as well and in 3 weeks i will take a look inside your stomach .....so i went home took the new pill Dexilant 60mg the next morning and the Nexium at night i did feel ok for 2 days but then I got so Dizzy and nauseous, after 3 more days i couldnt take it nomore i had tingeling hands feet ....my arms and shoulder felt like they was going numb on me the only thing that was really gone was the burning sensation in my chest ....i called the gastro doc. and told them whats goin on they said well u can try stopping one of the meds just keep takin the one that makes u feel better ...REALLY??? which one would that be ?? i stopped the Nexium im not nauseous anymore the dizzyness and the tingeling in hands and feet has gone to almost zero ........in the afternoon i start feeling the burning in the my chest and stabbing pain in the stomach thats a new one ....i really dont wanna stick with the Dexilant either but i got bout 10 days to go before the 3 weeks are up im not sure if i wanna do this ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Re: Dexilant and Nexium

Dexilant is a time release capsule. I'm on it and my back is hurting so badly I just want to chunk all these PPIs out the window.

I was on Nexium and never felt so sick in all my life, dizzy and nauseated, pain in stomach, etc.

I think I'd call my pharmacist and get his/her opinion on taking these 2 PPIs together for 3 weeks. Mine told me this is not something I should do. I called her because I had taken Zegerid 40 mg that morning and the doctor prescribed Dexilant that afternoon. I wasn't getting any relief and wanted to start on the Dexilant that same day. In this case she said it was okay but I shouldn't keep this up.

What doesn't work for me might work for someone else so please don't let my experience influence you in any way. I know some people who swear by both these drugs.

Good luck, God bless.
Annie

Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

dagmar68 HB User

i dont know about Dexilant now bout 6 -7weeks with it seems like its not workin right anymore. by now im was diagnosed with a gastritis about 3 weeks ago.I have to go see the doctor next week cause i have stomach pain i never had before and the reflux is back so im already taking an extra prilosec in the evening now .... i will see what they put me on when i get there on friday but i know one thing i dont care which it is but all these PPI have some yucky side effects ....

Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

PPI's really do work differently for everyone. I have some success with Dexilant, but the side effects from Nexium were horrible for me. I haven't taken it for 3 years and still have side effects from the one week I was on it.

Dexilant is a time-release capsule. Taking Dexilant once per day is comparable to taking the Nexium twice per day. You are on a pretty high dosage. Occasionally, symptoms warrant that kind of dosage, but typically, most doctors won't prescribe at that level.

My GI doc wanted me on Dexilant twice a day, but that is off-label and insurance won't cover it for me. I'm doing better now that I was a year ago though.

I wish you well,
MountainReader

Old 09-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
(male)

jcott5 HB User

I have been on nexium for 5 months...did not work. Dexilant 60 mg once a day...at night...since january. Does not prevent night acid...which i why i was taking it at night. now experiencing all sorts of side effects:

salty spit?
*****ly and itchy skin (currently suffering)
skin redness
mild constipation

These are the current side effects. Have gone mostly vegetarian. Very frustrated. good luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
(female)

dagmar68 HB User

Im still on Dexilant 2 months later .... it did take a while to really work but now it seems like it not working nomore.The burning in my chest is back at night.So it doesnt do a 24 hour job like its suppose to....I will defenetly talk to my new doctor about it when i see him since this is the 3rd PPI not doing the job i will have to see what other options i have cause this cant be it ....

Old 10-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Dagmar: I also find that PPIs stop working pretty quickly. At this point, I'm just living without them. Domperidone helps more.

Find out why you are refluxing. Do you have hiatal hernia? Is your LES weak? Is your digestive motility abnormal? Having stomach acid isn't the problem, the problem is having acid in your esophagus!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
(female)

dagmar68 HB User

i haveno idea why im refluxing but i will make sure i ask the new gastro doc. to check into it , i know i dont have a hiatal hernia . the first one tood me my reflux it from the gastritis but i had heartburn problems for years and i was able to stop em when i stopped smoking ,drinking coffee and leaving Orange juice alone .... i knew i had to keep an eye on chocolate and cake as well but long as i didnt over due it i was good .....i tryed to tell the first doctor but he didnt even listen to me so maybe i have more luck with doctor number 2 ... i have more reflux problems now than before i was on PPI im not sure what to think but i sure would like to come off that stuff soon ....

Closed Thread