It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

cindylou2 HB User
Question Terrible Gerd ~ Can't Take Aciphex ~ Need Another Med.

Hello Friends,

I suffer from Gerd, really really bad (I have a Hiatal Hernia).... and for the past few years I have taken Aciphex (20 mg) for my heartburn and it works GREAT!

However....I no longer have insurance that will cover the Aciphex and without the drug coverage, it is $250 - $300 per month!

Do you have any suggestions on a good heartburn med that is not too expensive. Prescription or O.T.C....Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Re: Terrible Gerd ~ Can't Take Aciphex ~ Need Another Med.

Is it that they definitely won't cover it or they would like your doctor to find a cheaper alternative?

I ask this because 2 yrs ago my insurance wanted me to switch. I tried omeprazole but it didn't work as well. I had my doctor note on the prescription that Aciphex was the only one that worked. I really didn't try any others. They filled the Aciphex..

The Following User Says Thank You to Flyerfan For This Useful Post:
cindylou2 (07-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I suggest generic omeprazole. It's the cheapest (about 40 cents a pill if I buy in bulk) and it works well for many people.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
cindylou2 (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
(male)

allrighty HB User

I like Prevacid which to me is a better PPI than Acidphex. Double up on the 15mg (take 2 at a time 30mg). It works out to be about 40 dollars a month. Unless you have one of the few insurance policies that isn't forcing you into the generics or a top of the line policy for the rich you're going to run into the problems you mention. Yours sounds like a BCBS policy because most policies have risen to at least $500 a month for deductibles on prescriptions if you're under 65. Many are far far worst. Better hit the generics or OTC Prilosec and Prevacid because you'll be be playing that game with Protonix or Acidphex.

The Following User Says Thank You to allrighty For This Useful Post:
cindylou2 (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
(female)

cindylou2 HB User

I have no insurance coverage at all now. So, I have no drug coverage at all and there's no way to afford the 250-300 dollars for the Aciphex. ........(sad)

My brother takes Prevacid...it does so-so for him, and my Gerd is much worse than his.

I called my local Pharmacy today and they recommended generic omeprazole, said it was a PPI and would probably be OK.

read that the generic Aciphex wont be available here until 2013.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I appreciate it so much, it helps to have some suggestions and ideas to work with!!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
(male)

allrighty HB User

I’d get on down to the drugstore or Wal-Mart tomorrow and get started on the generic Prilosec or Prevacid (brand). Don’t screw around. I’ve used all the PPI’s and there’s not much difference to me. Personally I’d get the capsule form (generic) with the Prilosec, not the hard tablet. Two doses of Prilosec are basically Nexium. Full prescription strength Prevacid is 30mg. The 15mg Prevacid was developed predominantly for ulcers and mild heartburn not GERD or EE. The 15mg Prevacid is practically worthless for a hiatal hernia and the mentioned. Prevacid has the fewest FDA complaints. Many hospitals use Protonix because it can be delivered by IV and is excellent.

<deleted>

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
(male)

allrighty HB User

For those who don't realize it Tums and similar OTC meds are calcium. Many complain of rebound reflux plus diarrhea or constipation with overuse of it. I donít recommend more than the RDA with it. Unless you are a woman or have known deficiencies or engaged in heavy exercise with heavy sweating Iím not pro on this. A few years back calcium was pushed as the answer to many of lifeís ills with claims of excess acidity. That could be true but large dosingís of calcium are not the answer.

Closed Thread