It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
How long is too long to wait?

I have been in a state of high anxiety over Gerd for 1-1/2 yrs. The anxiety is making it worse, I know. For the past year I've been trying to control it without PPI's (Aciphex) and I've had ups and downs. Sometimes it would be barely noticeable for days and then it would creep back in, albeit mild. I want to stay away from ppis because of the long term side effects....the reason I went off them in the first place. I have been taking Pepcid as needed and it helps for sometimes a whole 24 hrs. I'm just worried that I'm doing damage because I'm not taking a strong enough med.

My reflux is mild but is pretty much there daily. I don't experience anything at night and upon waking I feel my best. My appetite is fantastic and my diet cannot get any better. I use the Pepcid and DGL and even ACV to try and control it. I really hate to go back to the ppi for a short time and then wean off even though the first time coming off them was not too terribly bad. I just don't want to go through it again.

The Aciphex must have done it's job over the years because my last endoscopy in May 2010 was completely normal. I plan on getting another one just to see how I'm doing since going ppi-free but I'm hoping I can wait until the end of the year.

We've all heard that "over time" Gerd left untreated can lead to Barrett's and possibly cancer. Has anyone been told what exactly "over time" is? Months? Years? Am I OK to wait a few more months?

Last edited by Flyerfan; 07-31-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: How long is too long to wait?

Hi, I have AR/GERD and a HIatal Hernia, Ive also had an Ulcer.
This has been going on 2.5 yrs since treatment for H.Pylori. I was prescribed Nexium but only took it for one week, I did not want to go down that road.
When I'm really suffering I take Aloe Vera Juice or Grapefruit Seed Extract along with Gaviscon.
Your symptoms do not sound too bad. I myself have many but I think each person must decide for them self whether to take their medication or not.
I wish you the best, Solofelix.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
(female)

cupCakeCat HB User

I'm really interested in this too. I believe and hope it's usually years, since my symptoms have only worsened in the past months... lol.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It's years. Typically decades, except in the most severe reflux cases, and most of the time, Barrett's Esophagus does NOT progress to cancer anyway.

If your symptoms are usually controlled through lifestyle and Pepcid, I wouldn't worry about cancer.

Closed Thread