It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
Reaction due to acid reflux?

I've been on Prevacid, Gaviscon and Pepcid Complete for AR/GERD. After several months, I'm still struggling.

I can feel the acid in my throat and have a nasty taste in my mouth 24/7.

I looked at my throat today and saw what looks like a blister on the left side of what looks like an arch in the back of the wide open mouth. The spot feels irritated. It appears to be a rice-grain size fluid (or yellow) spot surrounded by red irritated flesh.

I've searched the board here and haven't seen anyone complain of having a sore.

Has anyone experienced this? Can acid cause a sore in the mouth/throat?

I would really appreciate a reply.

Thanks, Annie
I forgot to mention that my throat burns 24/7 also.

Last edited by annie42; 07-31-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Reaction due to acid reflux?

Hi annie...I'm not one on AR or Gerd but do know a couple of people who have it but never heard of a sore in the throat. If it were me I would call my Dr. and ask to be seen.

Seeing you have been on so many meds. and not getting any relief, your Dr. needs to find out why as you should be having at least some relief. I'm assuming you have been scoped but if not, it needs to be done.

Wishing you the best...JJ...

P.S. Please keep us posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
annie42 (08-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (08-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
(female)

Hi JJ. I was hoping someone with a little knowledge on the matter would reply. You're the only one who responded to my post. Thank you!

I sometimes reply to post even if I'm not familiar with the issue. Just to let them know they are not alone.

I've been scoped twice last year with a dx of AR, GERD, gastric ulcer and a hiatal hernia. My ulcers healed and I had a few months of relief from AR, Gerd and the hernia. Then a few weeks ago, it started up again. I went to my GI doc.

The GERD has improved much over the past couple days. I've been on the meds since last Monday. At the time I went to my GI doc, I didn't have or didn't know about the spot on my throat. I'm going to my PCP on the 15th of this month so I'll have him look at it.

Thanks so much for your reply, it was very kind of you.

Hugs, Annie

The following user gives a hug of support to annie42:
JJ (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem hon...I really am not all that familiar with that ailment but figured I'd give you the best advice I could. Just watch that sore and if it gets any worse call the DR. before your appt. as you don't want it getting worse.

Glad you have been scoped and got a diagnose but it still needs to be looked after. Please feel better and keep me posted.

All the very best...JJ....

Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, I have the same as you. AR/GERD, Hiatal Hernia, have also had H.Pylori and an Ulcer.
I also have Diverticulitis, so I have an idea of your problem.
AR can cause a sore mouth and throat at least it does with me, I also get Thrush from it in my mouth. I discovered a mouthwash that has really helped my mouth a lot. I honestly don't know what this spot in your mouth might be and would advice you to let your Dr look at it, it might just be a type of Ulcer.
I have a lot of stomach problems and was prescribed Nexium but I don't take it.
The mouthwash is called (ELUDRIL), I also take Aloe Vera Juice and sometimes Grapefruit Seed Extract. I wish you well, Solofelix.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

Thank you for the reply Solofelix.

I did forget to mention I also have diverticula disease. My gastro problems are due to having been on NSAIDS for many, many years and also aspirin.

I was negative for H-Pylori.

I'm going to try sea-salt gargle and if this blister (?) isn't better by the Friday, I'll be going to my dentist. I'll also get the Eludril mouthwash if the pharmacy carries it.

Again, thank you for replying and good information.

Annie

Old 08-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you for your very informative post.

I've been researching alkaline and acidic foods. Fortunately I've been sticking to a fairly balanced diet. In fact, I might be avoiding acidic foods a bit much. But I'm learning.

I eat mostly plant based foods, plenty fruits and veggies, no processed foods, no meat, very little chicken and fish. I only use Almond milk or non-fat dry dry milk and only a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.

I've now replaced the meat, chicken and fish with tofu and flax and fish oil supplements.

I've been taking 1500 mg calcium + D (as per doctor) for 20 years also. Mother had a fractured hip and I have osteopenia.

I love sweets but stay away from them. About the only sweet thing I eat are Animal Cookies and very few of them. I'd give my right eye for a donut!!!

I will test my pH. I've been procrastinating but will get on it now.

Thank you for the link. It's very informative and I shall print it out.

Blessings,
Annie

Closed Thread